Tracking the bloat

kitekrazy

Windows itself seems to grow on its own.  Somehow I went from 12gb of free space down to 6.

I use Tree File Size Free to look up the large files.

Worst offenders are

IK Multimedia - 15.8 GB if you have all of the software.  I don't know if I could move the Modo factory file without issues.  The other Modo libraries are on a separate drive.

NI - presets take of a lot of space.

Reason Studios- another 15GB with some sample based REs.  

Many developer presets reach 1GB

Izotope is Isobloat.

Wavetable Synth presets eat up a lot of space.

I don't want to deal with makelink either.

256 drive doesn't cut it anymore for a DAW if you use other software.    I know gamers due to developer bloat use 1-2TB OS drives.

Disk space is not cheap when you have to buy it.

Be sure to check how much space is taken up.    

yeah content gets large quickly. i was considering Superior Drummer 3 until i saw it was 230GB of samples... then decided i a) didn't need a 4th drive just for a drum machine, b) whilst the quality is no doubt the finest, it is beyond my skill set to need the nuances and pristine sound of a 192Khz sample of a stick hitting something... 🙂

so, definitely find a way to add a "content" (and/or "project") drive to get your C drive as clean as possible. ok to leave your VST etc (and since some hard code C even if you have a junction) and move the content. you'll be glad you did.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul Young said:

I don't want to deal with makelink either.

You are almost destined to come to grips with this one if using a 256GB C drive. Once you start working with audio/video files, the temp files alone go into GB range quickly (most apps allow for directing temp files storage locations, but few purge them on their own). Some installers also leave rather massive files in the Windows/Installer (hidden) directory for each version you have installed... that directory alone can take up 10% of the C drive if not monitored. Even uninstalling can leave orphans, and PatchCleaner is the only utility that comes to mind in dealing with those easily.

The advantage of a smaller C drive has always been with imaging. xcopy/robocopy are quick ways to archive data files, but when safeguarding the OS, an image is required. Oddly enough, the reason I stepped up to a 512GB C drive was that the Recovery partition defaults to 500MB, so when I swapped drives, I increased that to 1GB. Once that partition went over 90%, the boot ups started getting funky, and the drive was being degraded due to usage anyway. Even after that swap, I still keep the C drive small (210GB for 804 installed apps) for imaging reasons. When things start bubbling over the 4GB range, I start considering if it is worth a junction or outright uninstalling.

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

You are almost destined to come to grips with this one if using a 256GB C drive. Once you start working with audio/video files, the temp files alone go into GB range quickly (most apps allow for directing temp files storage locations, but few purge them on their own). Some installers also leave rather massive files in the Windows/Installer (hidden) directory for each version you have installed... that directory alone can take up 10% of the C drive if not monitored. Even uninstalling can leave orphans, and PatchCleaner is the only utility that comes to mind in dealing with those easily.

The advantage of a smaller C drive has always been with imaging. xcopy/robocopy are quick ways to archive data files, but when safeguarding the OS, an image is required. Oddly enough, the reason I stepped up to a 512GB C drive was that the Recovery partition defaults to 500MB, so when I swapped drives, I increased that to 1GB. Once that partition went over 90%, the boot ups started getting funky, and the drive was being degraded due to usage anyway. Even after that swap, I still keep the C drive small (210GB for 804 installed apps) for imaging reasons. When things start bubbling over the 4GB range, I start considering if it is worth a junction or outright uninstalling.

Windows itself is about 40gb. I think XP was only 4.   I still use system restore but at the smallest amount. I should post a picture of the size of presets by developers.  I learned to not set Live to auto update.  I once had over 8gb of their installers.

Last week I stared inspecting all of my Kontakt libraries.   Developers rarely bother to use the Kontakt compression in smaller libraries.  I went through all of the Kontakt libraries and claimed 50gb of space by using the Kontakt compression.  Usually large libraries are compressed but developers who put out smaller libraries just use the wav files. All of those Soundiron Iron packs took up 8gb of space in wav format.  Little things add up.

I have a spare 500gb drive. I'm not ready to transfer yet wondering about reauthorization hassles.

• Like 1