[SOLVED] Arturia Softsynth Trouble

Arturia's CZ V and SQ80 V plugins are crashing/closing CbB when their GUI windows are closed.

Currently getting help from Arturia but so far nothing has worked to fix it.

Tried un/reinstalling removing all registry entries. Running installers and standalone as Administrator. Refreshing the data caches.

Windows 10 22H2, CbB 2023.09

Anyone else have trouble with Arturia?

Edited by sjoens

I had trouble with Pigments when they changed their GUI (early 2023 IIRC). No crashes, just solid blocks of color (or grey) instead of the usual parameter animations.  Arturia attempted to help, but I think it was because of my graphics card and a lack of support for newer graphics extensions. 

I solved the problem by reverting to that last version of Pigments that worked on my PCs.  I update Analog Lab Pro but for editing sounds I use Pigments itself.

I will try CZ V and SQ80 V with the last version of CbB. 

UPDATE:  Just did a quick 8 measure, 4 track loop (CZ V vst3 & vst2, SQ80 V vst3 & vst2). Opened them, closed them, resized with two different methods, moved onto and from Mon 2, etc.  The only thing I noticed with the UI is that when instantiating the CZ V vst3 and the SQ80 V vst3 they seemed to hang on too long  as white UI windows before the full UI showed up. (I also noticed that the new versions have a more colorful preset category column (browse-by-category mode) than I remember.

UPDATE: Just added some noodling (5 take lanes) with Mini Freak which I only have as a Demo.  VTS3 version also stayed white for longer than expected when first instantiated.  No crashes yet.

Edited by User 905133

CZ V is working as expected here; not even really seeing a significant delay in drawing the UI. This is with onboard Intel video on my laptop. It also has NVIDIA RTX that I don't normally enable for CbB, but I could try it. I would agree this is likely an interoperability issue between the OP's specific graphics engine and the way Arturia has implemented some feature. Hard to say who's at fault. First step would be to try it in another DAW on the same machine.

• Like 1

Good idea.  My graphics are the same as yours David.  My troubles are on Windows 10.  The only workaround so far is to leave them open in Multidock or minimize the windows when not in use.

Strangely SQ80 v1.5 worked fine on Windows 11 until I updated it to v1.6.  Now CbB won't even scan it.  I've abandoned the Windows 11 machine for DAW use but will check if going back to v1.5 fixes that issue.

Edited by sjoens

Loaded CZ-V in Mixcraft on Windows 10 and closed the synth window without incident.  Then I tried to replace the CZ-V with SQ80-V and it crashed Mixcraft closing it instantly.

So something's going on under the hood.

I have no issues with the synths until I go to close their GUI with "[X]" or try to close the project.  This is when they crash CbB.

These are DEMOs if that matters and Standalones work fine.

I'm leaving it as is for now since I found a workable workaround.

My Alienware laptop specs are about the same as yours or better.

Edited by sjoens

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

I have no issues with the synths until I go to close their GUI with "[X]" or try to close the project.  This is when they crash CbB.

These are DEMOs if that matters and Standalones work fine.

I'm leaving it as is for now since I found a workable workaround.

My Alienware laptop specs are about the same as yours or better.

Thanks for the details.  I have several Arturia in synths as demos.  I can try with those.  To do a comparison, it would be good to know if you exceeded a time limit or something that goes beyond the terms of them demo when you X out or close the GUI.

Saving/Loading and import/export are disabled. The demo is limited to 20 minutes.

Addendum:  I replaced all synths with ones I have no licenses for.  One by one I saved each version.  So far I used Factory patches.  I did not attempt testing with edited patches.  No crashes so far, but some of the instruments stopped sounding. 

Edited by User 905133

All true.  I've closed them before and after the time limit.  Arturia has been offering a list of solutions to try but none of them have worked so far.  It's like they're telling the DAW to close when they're closed.  However, it generates a crash dump which I gave Arturia but they haven't reported on it yet.  Will have to ask them about it.  Cakewalk also generates one so I may pass that on to tech support.

They don't crash Mixcraft unless I try to replace one for the other.

Side point.  Lately I've had no success getting other DAWs to work on my laptops.  They always have issues with my interface or other system stuff so I can't even try them out.  Makes no sense.

So, I just finished up letting my 5 track, 8 measure loop time out on all the demo instruments.  The transport kept on playing but with no sounds. I tried to make it crash, but couldn't. Earlier I tried booting Mixcraft 9 Recording Studio which I got as part of a Humble Bundle, but it never finished the VST scan.

I like the Arturia synths I have used. Hope they can figure out what's going on so you can use them.  

Edited by User 905133
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My system crashed requiring a total reinstall of Windows 10.  After getting everything back up & running, the Arturia plugins works as designed.

Besides Arturia issue there's been a host of other issues plaguing it for some time.  Probably good to revamp the system every 5 years or so.

• sjoens changed the title to [SOLVED] Arturia Softsynth Trouble