Melodyne workflow question

Do most of you split the clips into smaller portions, or remove the dead space in between phrases before creating region effects for melodyne? I used to just create region effects for the entire vocal, but now I'm wondering if it's more efficient or more accurate to do it one clip at a time. It seems like more work but just wondering what other people do. Thanks. 

Hi Charles , I normally split the tracks up. I'll split up verses , chorus , bridge and sometimes just parts of them. It's especially handy if you are going to do any copying and pasting . (like on a bass part). Then you only have to do it once. I've also found that I start getting sloppy in a long melodyne session. I normally do it as I go to keep the final editing from getting so long and tedious.             ms

• Like 2

Be aware that you can delete the dead space inside Melodyne (along with any unwanted noises).

I used to clean up the clips before applying Melodyne, but nowadays I find it redundant, as all editing can be done within Melodyne.

My workflow for vocals is basically: record (using comp) - create the master comp track - duplicate this composite track (for safety reasons) - apply melodyne to the whole track - edit, edit, edit.... - render the edited track.

But this is a workflow that suits my needs. I'm sure everyone develop a prefered workflow that serves them well.

For complex recordings, you can even apply melodyne to assorted clips inside the comp track to adjust timing, etc, before commiting to a master track.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, charles kasler said:

Do most of you split the clips into smaller portions, or remove the dead space in between phrases before creating region effects for melodyne? I used to just create region effects for the entire vocal, but now I'm wondering if it's more efficient or more accurate to do it one clip at a time. It seems like more work but just wondering what other people do. Thanks. 

The best answer here would be to learn some recording techniques. Recording is a skill on its own. One you become your own skilled Recording Engineer - working with any pitch correction plugin will become a breeze. Certain words dont need pitch correction or to have the pitch drift set to center. Then there are times when you'll have to cut the last half of a words to time stretch it (this is where that recording skill come in to play.) You might want to straighten out some vibrato in a word or you might want to add some.

Everything mentioned here plays a big role before using melodyne and understanding Melodyne alone is a skill on its own. It can both ruin a recording and polish it. So knowing where and when to use it is key. We might think we know how to use it, but trust me we havent even scratched its surface. It is a powerful engine. Evertime you use it - its with a different approach. So if yoy have great recording skills, melodyne will be your best friend. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 6:33 AM, Andres Medina said:

Be aware that you can delete the dead space inside Melodyne (along with any unwanted noises).

I used to clean up the clips before applying Melodyne, but nowadays I find it redundant, as all editing can be done within Melodyne.

My workflow for vocals is basically: record (using comp) - create the master comp track - duplicate this composite track (for safety reasons) - apply melodyne to the whole track - edit, edit, edit.... - render the edited track.

But this is a workflow that suits my needs. I'm sure everyone develop a prefered workflow that serves them well.

For complex recordings, you can even apply melodyne to assorted clips inside the comp track to adjust timing, etc, before commiting to a master track.

Andres, a very late response... I've been looking in melodyne and I don't see where you can delete dead space or unwanted noises? I only have melodyne assistant, maybe it takes a more advanced version?

12 hours ago, charles kasler said:

I don't see where you can delete dead space or unwanted noises?

An unwanted noise will show up as a normal note blob. Most of the time they're seperate blobs. Left click on it to audition it. Right click and choose delete. Sometimes it's part of the main note blob.  Just split the clip and delete the unwanted portion. Sometimes after rendering the melodyne clip a small fade is helpful at any abrupt parts. Silence will show up as a straight line after or before a blob. These can also be split and deleted out, if you want to carry it that far.             ms

• Like 1

My workflow has been really sped up by creating 2 shortcuts. 
Z key opens Melodyne and the X key renders. . I do sort of what @mark skinner does. I  delete any artifacts in the editor. Even breathe sounds in between notes. Careful of some as they can be needed are part of the sound of certain sibilants. 

I used to use the S key to split and slip edit but then I discovered all I need to do is drag to select and hit my Z key.
So this eliminates a lot of blank space as I only highlight where the notes are. 
My goal is to make the parts I’m working on fit my screen. I like it zoomed in just a little more.  So it’s usually one line of a lyric sheet.
When done I Re select the clip and hit the X key to render. 
There will be left over blank clips between my clips so I will delete those. 

Working with sort clips has many advantages. 
Later when recording other parts you can visualize where the vocals are in a track. 
You can spot the chorus by seeing the harmony clips. 
Sometimes you like the way you sang a chorus later on so clip’s makes it easier to copy paste. Short clips make it easier to set punch points to re sing. 
I like to Bounce to clips once I’m finished. Somehow I think this gives the CPU a break. 

I highly recommend upgrading to the best version you can afford .  Black Friday is best time to update and I’ve ended up with the flagship version for almost 1/2 price by upgrading each year to the next level. This spread the coast out over time at $100 each upgrade. 

To me Melodyne is the most important tool for editing vocals and guitars. 
Pitch correction is only a small part of what I use it for.

After all my DAW was free and with Melodyne Cakewalk becomes a very powerful audio editor. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

I like the idea of melodyne shortcuts. I assigned both z & x for create & render but I get no response from the x for create. Am I doing something wrong? It shows that x binds to create region fx & I closed & reopened the project but no response. Thanks.

I set them as z open and x renders 

Did you make sure to use the Bind button in the preferences settings? 
It should draw a black line that goes from the lettering on the left to the action shown on the list on the right. Then hit bind. And yes you have to restart Cakewalk.