Recording Into BandLab Via An External Processor

I bought a hardware-based vocal processor that can track vocals via MIDI. I'll lay out what I'm trying to do:

1. Record a MIDI track into BandLab. Let's say, a two- or three-part harmony.
  2. The TC-Helicon processor has MIDI and USB connections.
  3. BandLab sees the processor under the Devices tab as a MIDI connection. (See attached screenshot)

I've attached screenies of the processor and the audio interface being used.

I can sing directly into the mic and the DAW will record my voice. Or, I can sing harmonies via a MIDI track from third-party MIDI playback software. (Notation Composer) What I CAN'T figure out is how to sing while getting Cakewalk to read one of its own MIDI tracks to also produce the harmonies.

Back.png.5146999bb1e5673a2415f22e8c0da427.png

6i6.jpg

Device.png

Edited by Ricebug
  • Like 1

I'm having a hard time figuring out what you're trying to do and how it is that you're not able to do it.

On 1/1/2024 at 3:06 PM, Ricebug said:

What I CAN'T figure out is how to sing while getting Cakewalk to read one of its own MIDI tracks to also produce the harmonies.

I'll take a shot at it:

You already have the MIDI track recorded, and you wish to overdub a live audio vocal while listening to the MIDI track? If that's all you're having trouble with, that should be very easy to do. It's Cakewalk's default behavior to play back previously recorded tracks while you're recording new ones. In order not to hear them, you'd have to mute them.

Or:

You already have one MIDI track recorded and you wish to overdub another MIDI track using the Perform-VK as the input?

If that's it, have you tried checking the boxes that select the Perform-VK? If they are not checked (as they are not in your screenshot), Cakewalk won't be able to use them (this goes for any MIDI device). To get Cakewalk to record the output of the Perform-VK, you need to specify it as the input device on your MIDI/Instrument track.

Same as with the other one, Cakewalk defaults to playing back previously recorded MIDI or audio tracks when you are overdubbing MIDI or audio. In order not to hear the previous track, you'd have to mute it.

If you're trying to use just a new lane rather than a new track, that will mute the previously recorded lane (by default).

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the feedback, SK. However, I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to do. Here's the breakdown:

• I want to sing a song that has some complicated 3- or 4-part vocal harmonies.
  • I can't finger these harmonies on a MIDI keyboard while also singing them, even though I'm an accomplished pianist. Sort of like marching and chewing gum at the same time.
  • So, I record the harmonies into a MIDI track. This track will then "feed" the harmonies into the harmonizer while I sing them. This is the "hands-off" approach I'm trying to achieve.

The manual for my harmonizer says that this is possible, but "since all DAWs are different, refer to the DAW's manual" to figure out how to set it up. I must've searched YT for hours looking for anyone who could explain this. Unfortunately, the only videos explaining the use of harmonizers only deal with other forms of synthetic harmonies.

Like everything else, I've learned that the simplest answer is right in front of me and I need someone like yourself to poke me in the eye to see it. 

Edited by Ricebug

I've got the TC Helicon Voice Prism  and also the VoiceWorks plus.

Normally I don't use the harmony features, just the voice modelling, but it's just an extra connection.

1. First make sure Perform VK MIDI Out is checked in preferences.
2. Set the MIDI Output of your MIDI harmony control track to Perform VK MIDI Out.
3. Connect the L/R outputs of the TC Helicon to inputs 3/4 of the focusrite
4. Connect the 3/4 outputs of the Focusrite to the inputs of the TC Helicon
5. On your vocal track, insert a send to a new Aux Track - this is where your harmonies will live.  Ensure Input Echo is enabled on the Aux track.
6. On the Aux track, insert an External Insert effect within the effects bin. 
7. Set the Send of the External Insert to Focusrite Line Out 3/4 and the Return to Focusrite Line Input 3/4 - click the button under the Delay - once calculated, it should read something other than "*0ms, 0 samples".

Once this is done you've got a couple options:

1. Let the TC Helicon do the processing in real time until final mixdown.
In this scenario, just make sure input echo stays active on the Aux track.

2. Record the harmonies as audio
If you've pre-recorded your main vocal, arm ONLY the Aux track, rewind to the beginning of the project (or where your vocals start), then record. 
If you've not recorded your main vocal yet, arm BOTH the Aux track and your main vocal, then record.  

Once the vocals are recorded, I normally copy the recorded audio to a new track, then archive the Aux track.  If I need to re-record the harmonies, I unarchive, re-arm, and re-record.