Changing song tempo with audiosnap

Marcello

Hi there,

I realized I recorded  a song a bit too slow and I'd like to increase the speed of about 5bpm.

The problem is that my audiosnap is messing up everything because I have midi tracks together with audio tracks, and plus 2 different bpm in two parts of the song, it's too much of a mess.

When I open audiosnap and then click on "clip follows project" the "default average tempo" does not match the bpm on my control bar, and when I change bpm from the control bar to increase the speed, the midi drums sounds ok, but it speeds up the guitars super fast messing up everything!

What if I just export all tracks into the WAV stereo file, and then change the bpm with audiosnap on the single track by reimporting it?

Is this good practice or it will affect the audio quality or sound weird?

I'm not sure what is grove clip looping, I just open audio snap and select "clip follows project" , then change the bpm in the control bar, and it works. Simply as that.

But this trick works only on the whole single track, if you have multiple tracks like midi drums and audio tracks, it's messing up everything.

It's like this when I try changing the bpm of multiple tracks, I'm not sure what average tempo does, but seems giving a random number when I activate audiosnap, not the same as I have set in the control bar which is 155bpm, then I'm supposed to change from 155 to 160 bpm in the control bar, but when I do that it just speeds up the guitar tracks like hell, and the midi drums is set to 160 which is ok, but the rest it just not aligned and messy

image.png.33f7d1d29485c450d0c6b5a1162ba71c.png

4 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

You can't change the tempo without getting artifacts. Re-recorded it.

I agree with that. 
You can only speed up certain tracks under certain conditions no matter which method you use. 
Important tracks like vocals will suffer. 
At least midi is no problem. 
For me that takes care of all but Guitar and Vocals. 
Then I just re do vocals and main guitars.  
If your song is important to you don’t compromise on quality when it’s available to you.  

But just today I was working on a old song. And the process was that I was using Next to extract the stems for the Bass and Drums. 

I put it in a Cakewalk project and dragged the drums ( real drums) to the timeline and got a tempo map that was from about 132 to 135.5 BPM

With ripple edit on I dragged the music so it started on 2. I The converted the bass to midi and edit and quantized. Then I opened the drums in Drum replacer and extracted the Kick/ Snare and a ride ( don't ask) I dragged that to Addictive drums and edited and quantized. 

I then put down a scratch vocal and a guitar. Then I added a Electric piano. This is all following the crazy tempo map. I then tried top play this choppy piano part and needed the tempo slowed down to do this.  So I deleted the tempo map and set the tempo at 120.   This is what I did. See screen shot. I opened the clips dialog and checked that box  " stretch to tempo" and the guitar and vocal actually followed the change. Simple. I recorded the piano and then put it back at 135. The vocal and guitar sounds perfect, the sound not the singing or playing. I'll be redoing them anyhow, But I was surprised at how easy this was to do! I think the tracks have to be selected as you change the tempo. Sorry I didn;t pay too close attention. 

Screenshot(47).png.2d49c1d4921034bf873d4929df51de45.png

Edited by John Vere

9 hours ago, Marcello said:

When I open audiosnap and then click on "clip follows project" the "default average tempo" does not match the bpm on my control bar, and when I change bpm from the control bar to increase the speed, the midi drums sounds ok, but it speeds up the guitars super fast messing up everything!

The key is to ensure the Follow Option is "Auto stretch" before enabling Follow Project. It doesn't matter if the clip tempo is detected incorrectly; the clips will stretch evenly by the percentage change in the  project tempo. And since you have multiple tempos, you should right-click in the Tempo Track and choose Offset Tempo Map. Then, assuming you want the different tempos to change proportionally, check the % box and enter a percentage that gets you the 5bpm where you want it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I can try this trick.

Of course my track it's instrumental so no vocals, only midi drums and guitars/bass.

@Byron Dickens@John Vere

Do you think that artifacts could be audible even if I speed up the track slightly from 155bpm to 160bpm only???

I really don't want to compromise the sound, so if really necessary I would re-record the guitars, but I would really like to avoid it.

PS: the guitars are very distorted, not clean, maybe won't be perceivable.

Edited by Marcello

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

The key is to ensure the Follow Option is "Auto stretch" before enabling Follow Project. It doesn't matter if the clip tempo is detected incorrectly; the clips will stretch evenly by the percentage change in the  project tempo. And since you have multiple tempos, you should right-click in the Tempo Track and choose Offset Tempo Map. Then, assuming you want the different tempos to change proportionally, check the % box and enter a percentage that gets you the 5bpm where you want it.

IT WORKS! Thanks a lot.

Just not sure about these artifacts, to me it seems didn't affect the guitars. I just increased the speed of 5 bpm

Edited by Marcello