Volume envelope not voluming

jkoseattle

Question

I have created some volume envelopes on some tracks, which IIRC I created by turning on Write Enable (which I then remembered to turn off when done). But I'm not positive it was all done that way. In any case, none of them are changing the volume. There are these R-with-a-slash-through-it icons, in the toolbar and on each track, but it's confusing whether turning it on means the volume envelopes are NOT obeyed, or vice-versa, and in any case, toggling them doesn't make any difference. I can drag the actual volume knob to change the volume, but normally the volume envelope makes that knob move on its own, and this is not happening. What am I missing?

Edited by jkoseattle

8 answers to this question

Lighted buttons means automation Read is enabled. If the global Read button in the mix module is not lit, all the Read buttons in individual tracks will be disabled. Clicking them will just additionally disable them individually. You need to leave them individually enabled, and also enable the global Read button in the mix module.

Edited by David Baay

Ok great, That solved that, thank you! 

...and so I'm listening to this masterpiece, and watching the volume knob bob up and down in sync with the envelope, and all is right with the world. Then the track gets inexplicably louder and softer quickly, though the volume knob did not move, and my envelope is flat at that moment, and then I look at the track and I see ANOTHER line in there that has a big crest in it and clearly is what is making the line move. And even though I have enabled the button that splits the envelopes into their own lane below the track, this little red line is still sitting on the track. What is this line?

It's not that, nope. Now that I zoom in on the clip I see a whole bunch of envelope lines on the clip in addition to my regular volume envelope which is separate. The lines extend beyond the clips and therefore seem to be track related.

I decided to see if I could just duplicate the track and copy the clip to the new track and maybe the problem would go away. But when I try to drag the clip to the new track, it wants to move the clips from ALL tracks, as if they were all selected. And if I simply delete the clip, everything in the project is deleted, including Arranger sections. This now looks like the file is corrupted, but I'm hoping this behavior is an indicator of something recognizable to someone here.

Edited by jkoseattle

23 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

when I try to drag the clip to the new track, it wants to move the clips from ALL tracks, as if they were all selected. And if I simply delete the clip, everything in the project is deleted, including Arranger sections. This now looks like the file is corrupted, but I'm hoping this behavior is an indicator of something recognizable to someone here.

Check your Ripple Edit.

Turns out there were half a dozen such envelope lines in there. I suspect I was messing with effect settings with the write enabled turned on. Anyway, the track was good and messed up.

Because simply copying the clip to a new track didn't work, I went in to PRV and tried copying individual notes instead. That didn't work either, UNTIL... I copied only SOME of the notes to the new track from PRV, then some more, and some more, until eventually the whole track was copied, piece by piece. Ugh.

I still don't really know how it got so screwed up, but lesson learned: remember to turn off the W.