2 weird Windows bugs -Solved

John Vere

Edit see last post. 

Well first one wasn’t so much a bug but I didn’t think this was possible.
When I upgrade OS drives I just put old drive on the shelf just in case something goes wrong with new one. 
So I’m looking for an extra drive to stick in my old DAW because I stole the data drives and I find the old OS drive from my Acer laptop from last March. I connected it and turned computer on.

Note , this is my old HP desktop I just retired. 

I find Drive G and yep it’s an OS so I format the drive and carry on. 

I needed to load Cakewalk because I was checking on a missing plug in on new machine. WTF?  Cakewalk said it needs to update ?? And most of my plug ins were missing?? Turns out the computer booted from the old Acer dive and my OS drive was the one I just formatted!! Sssshhhiiiittt ! 

I didn’t think it was possible to boot from a OS from a different machine 😡
Oh well. So much for keeping it as a back up. it seems happy but now I’ll have to fix this mess. At least it’s working fine. 

Then on my brand new W11 DAW  I was doing screen captures with OBS and made 15 files. As I worked I had deleted about 8 and then redoing them. I then as always rename the clips using just 1-2-3-4 etc. 

Then I can take the whole works and drop them into the Editing software Vegas Movie  Maker.  Done this 100’s of times. I slip edited a few and then I had some additional audio to drop in. I did that and the program pops up a message saying there is missing files? All the movie clips say Off Line. 
I returned to the folder where they are stored and another WTF! They are all renamed back to original names and all the deleted files are back!  W11?? I have never seen anything like this before. 

I did the next best thing I could do, I shut everything off and went to the fridge for a bottle of cold white wine. It was 5 o clock somewhere.  Now I’m scared to go near both my computers!! 

Edited by John Vere
  • Haha 1

@Glenn Stanton
Interesting you mentioned that. The day after I had been installing my plug ins and what not I get a message on my phone that one drive was almost full. I guess as you say the default is for it to sync everything and then beg for money when it runs out of room. 
I guess I had this under control on old computer as I only use one drive for Word doc and PDF. No pictures etc. I only have the free 5 GB. 
So I opened one drive web version and everything I’d done the day before was there as well as it was trying to upload all my pictures from the data drives. 
I deleted 4 GB of stuff and turned off sync.  But I’ll look later and see if it’s still off. 
I was working from the new M2 drive. 
But it’s interesting that I renamed all the files like I’ve done forever with one click on the name to highlight and type over. Hmm is it a W11 thing? I hate the way they removed Delete from the right click menu! It’s on a second layer.  
If One drive was syncing I guess anything is possible.
Still some work to do before this new machine is beat into submission. 

no, so far W11 does everything you expect. renaming etc is normal. edit: make sure you have permissions of full control in your documents and work spaces, even if you have RW access, weird stuff could happen when processes with higher permissions try to help out... 😉 

for me i have both OneDrive (1TB - $8/month) and Google Drive (2TB - $10/month). so, while the OneDrive is connected to the desktop and documents folders, everything else (literally) is not directly attached - i've had too many file conflict issues with the cloud drives trying to be helpful and fight me for control over stuff i was editing... so now any working folders are located on the local drives, and i use synchronization software to copy updates to the cloud drives. this way even if the cloud drives were to do stoopid, my main work is never directly touched. yes, it means more local space is consumed but not too much, except the actual sync time, because the cloud drives are set to store cloud only and thus the shortcuts they create are on my local cloud storage SSD. 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
permissions
  • Like 1

I decided to just redo the old HP from scratch. It has 2 new SSD 500 GB drives 32 GB RAM and it’s a 2010 top of the line i7 4 core. 
Thank goodness it automatically authorized W10 on boot up. I have no clue what the actual code is as the one on the side is W7. 

It will serve as a tester for new software and plug ins and a backup. I’ll see if I lost a few things that you are supposed to deactivate on original machine. Not sure if it will be recognized that way. 
But nothing like a fresh start. 

I just installed Next. I’m not going to install CbB or older Sonar just yet. I will also hold off on 3rd park plug ins. 
When I get Sonar beta I will install it here first too. That way I can test with out any doubt of carry over goodies from my past. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Great Idea 1

I solved the problem with the new computer behaviour that was unexpected. I always have used hardwired keyboard and mice on my DAW. When it was time fire this one up all I had close by was a wireless set. 
Now I remember why I don’t like wireless keyboards. They can send garbled messages to your computer. All week long I was cursing W11 when it was just a cheap wireless keyboard. 
Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• John Vere changed the title to 2 weird Windows bugs -Solved

yeah cheap keyboard - mouse - bad in any mode... i use a Logitech k545 key & mouse - almost never a problem unless the batteries are really low. tried no name, MS, and always a problem. Logitech - no issues. twice the price of the MS budget units but worth it. with my old old (2005) PC i used a hardwired because a) wireless kb & mouse sucked, b) way less interrupts due to the wireless constant pinging... which on an older machine was the difference between the HD working smoothly or not... 

• Like 1

I've avoided wireless for about 15 years because of the random nature of issues...and super fast battery drain.

But when I built this new system a year ago I picked up a Logitech K850 set at Costco on a whim.  I've been pretty shocked at the reliability and how long the batteries last.  I did have to run a USB extended cable up and around my desk to within about a foot of the keyboard to avoid data skips.  But rock solid since then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOK said:

I did have to run a USB extended cable up and around my desk to within about a foot of the keyboard to avoid data skips. 

This is the one issue I've had with (Logitech) wireless keyboards - despite them allegedly having a 10m (IIRC) range, a meter when there's a desk involved is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

Yes I find you cannot put the dongle in the back. So it end up hogging a front port. They work better with laptops which is where I stole it from. That laptop has a section of dead keys so you have to add a keyboard. 

Another issue I originally had was when mixing with headphones on you would hear this buzzing as you moved the mouse. Like a quiet fax data transmission. Very annoying. 

i have a pair of powered USB 3.1 6-slot strips with individual power buttons. run all disks off one (content and project drive) + dongles for Waves and iLok, and the other strip for music keyboards, Logitech adapter, IO unit, etc so the faster port is the disks and the slightly slower is the rest. placed off the side of the laptop with my keyboard & mouse only a foot or so away. excellent performance for all and no issues on interrupts or disk access.