How to reduce bounce file.

yamadatarou

Question

13 answers to this question

2 hours ago, yamadatarou said:

However, is it not possible to link loaded files like in sound one?
If I load MP3 or WAV, it will bounce.

Can you explain this further please? I am not sure what you mean with "link loaded files like in sound one"... both "link" and "sound one" (Studio One?) are confusing me. Also at the end when you say "it will bounce" makes its seem like "it doesn't work"... "bounce" is actually a rendering option (to bake FX permanently into a sound file), so it doesn't quite make sense in that sentence. However...

That said, what I "think" you are trying to do is import audio into a project but not create a copy of it (meaning you have only one copy on your computer and Cakewalk will reference (link) it "wherever it is"). If that is it, then in Edit->Preferences->File->Audio Data... uncheck "Always Copy Imported Audio Files" at the top.

Bear in mind that if you do any operation on that file that will bounce (render) it, you will get a new copy in the Project/Audio Folder. Also if you ever move the original file, when you open that cwp file later on, it will make you find that referenced file first, or it will not load into the project. This is why the Project/Audio Folder structure is preferred for housekeeping reasons.

• Like 1

MP3 is a lossy format so each bounce the audio is degrading. badly. WAV. this is the way.

use the CW export function to bounce the tracks. after you bounce your tracks (like in the days of yore with 4-tracks and the need for 20...) you can clear your clips in the project and go into your Audio folder to remove them. then import the exported file(s) into your project (or new one call "myproject-v0###" etc.

or better as gustabo said - upgrade with a large SSD disk

15 hours ago, yamadatarou said:

I don't have much space, but I'm trying to free up some space, and I want to organize and delete the multiple bounce files I don't need, but are they all linked?

The fastest way to clean up an audio folder is to open a cwp, then "Save As..." to a new folder and check the "copy audio files with project option." That will copy only the audio in use (necessary) for that specific cwp. Bear in mind that it also only works on that specific cwp file, so if you have multiple cwp files in the same folder, you will need to repeat that for each cwp you intend to keep.

You can try that out and compare the new folder versus the old one. There are a lot of processes which create bounces, so intense editing can fill up the project audio folder quickly. I had someone send me a 100MB wave file with a bounce (319) on the end, and just though to myself, "Damn, I wonder if that project audio folder is 30GB??"

Also... two temp directories on your computer that always collect things  while the machine is running, but never purge themselves on their own are:

C:\Windows\Temp
     C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp

Everything in those two directories can be safely deleted (and ones that will not are being used by open programs... just "skip" those).

Also, "AppData" is a hidden directory, so to view it, you need to change search options in Windows Explorer (View->Options->Change folder and search options... then at the top of that popup... View->then check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives").

If you have never cleaned those two folders, you may have GBs worth of temporary files in them.

Edited by mettelus

On 12/27/2023 at 12:45 AM, mettelus said:

Also... two temp directories on your computer that always collect things  while the machine is running, but never purge themselves on their own are:

C:\Windows\Temp
     C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp

Everything in those two directories can be safely deleted (and ones that will not are being used by open programs... just "skip" those).

Also, "AppData" is a hidden directory, so to view it, you need to change search options in Windows Explorer (View->Options->Change folder and search options... then at the top of that popup... View->then check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives").

If you have never cleaned those two folders, you may have GBs worth of temporary files in them.

Thank you.
I unchecked that.
And, many temp files were made.
I deleted.

On 11/27/2023 at 6:29 AM, John Vere said:

I just bought a 128 GB USB flash drive for $12.  Storage is dirt cheap. 1 TB drives are well under $100 now and you can use the Samsung Magician to migrate to the new drive.  Simple 

Thank you.
Get drive is one of the way.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

MP3 is a lossy format so each bounce the audio is degrading. badly. WAV. this is the way.

use the CW export function to bounce the tracks. after you bounce your tracks (like in the days of yore with 4-tracks and the need for 20...) you can clear your clips in the project and go into your Audio folder to remove them. then import the exported file(s) into your project (or new one call "myproject-v0###" etc.

or better as gustabo said - upgrade with a large SSD disk

Thank you.
Teach the way to clean the project.
I under stood.

Another great way to free up space on your drive is to right click on the drive's icon in Explorer and select Properties. In properties, there will be a button for Disk Cleanup. Run that process, including Clean System Files. For instance, I just did it on this very laptop and reclaimed 3GB of space.

The bulk of the reclaimed space comes from Windows' update's delivery optimization files, which are no longer needed once an update is successfully applied (why they keep the files around is beyond my understanding, but I've never had an issue with cleaning them up).

There are also various options in Windows' Settings under System/Storage. Take care here, because it will offer the option to delete everything in your Downloads folder, which you should manage manually.

Thanks. I already cleared up the data.
My space is around 16GB→26GB though.
Not so smooth.

I try to delete some tracks from the Cakewalk project.
So It becomes smooth.
Though, I want to use the tracks.
I can't delete it.

But the problem it depends on the number or kind of fx tracks.
And It couldn't bounce.

How to do is the best?

Edited by yamadatarou