Cakewalk constant dropouts when project path = D drive

Sheens

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone could help..

I can't use Cakewalk when setting project path to D-drive....when I change it to C-drive problem is solved.

My C-drive hasn't got much free space.....so hoping someone knows a trick/solution..

MANY THANKS !!!

Edited by Sheens

This is a mystery because setting pathways in preferences has no actual bearing on how projects function. You can open projects from any drive including a external and the only difference would be the quality of the drive which definitely has bearing on projects performance. 
The pathways on Preferences are a way to set up a data drive so it will be the default when you perform certain open and save operations 

The global folder  is not something that should actually even be used if you work with the default per project system. All audio is stored in the project folders audio sub folder. 
I only make 2 changes to the pathways. 
Projects I change the the root of E drive which is all for Cakewalk and audio recording. I have to choose the sub folder because I have about 6 sub categories for projects. 
The other pathway I change is I use a Export folder because I’m assembling albums or set lists of songs so it’s my way of organizing files. 
The rest I ignore because they are unimportant tome. 

What @Jim Roseberrysaid about running a test on your drive is totally important when this happens.  
Even fairly new SSD drives can slow down to a crawl. I use the Samsung Magician as most of my drive are those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John, thank you for taking time  !

On control bar 'performance'  module, 'disk load' window went red on engine dropouts.

I'd say my SSD is good but maybe software orsetting caused the disk load/audio engine probs (have no virusscanner, defender,firewall,Windows update = off).

Checking/unchecking 'use multiprocessing' / 'MMCSS' didn't help,  'enable read caching' = off always.

Running high samplerate + low buffer but very few VST/tracks (increasing buffer didn't help).

Maybe I should check CPU / RAM settings on my computer.

Thanks for your time and help, I'm ok for now :)

Edited by Sheens