[Audioplugin.deals] Nightfox Audio - String Central - $39.99 (*Supposedly 80% off, but I call BS)

Kirean

7 hours ago, Kirean said:

https://audioplugin.deals/product/string-central-by-nightfox-audio/

The 80% is kinda fishy marketing since apparently the default price is around $99 or 149 € depending on the place of purchase.

I just love your thread title! My background is marketing/branding and I realize most people think that means soulless promotion person, but that's definitely not me. I love when bad, unethical practices are exposed. 

Anyhoo, Kudos to you, @Kirean

A brief explanation of marketing and ethical marketing
I'm a believer that ethical marketing is developing products around what people want or what you believe they want. That businesses should overdeliver on promises, not just meet expectations or engage in trickery (like inflating list prices to claim you're giving huge discounts) -- and it's in the long term interests of the business to do so. When you over-deliver on expectations, you make customers happy and happy customers tell their friends about a great experience and become loyal customers that bond with your brand and buy again. That, in a nutshell, is ethical marketing. Marketing itself encompasses marketing research, product development, pricing, distribution and promotion, but most people mistakenly think that advertising and sales promotion are marketing  -- and at small companies, marketing people often aren't doing marketing, but sales promotion. And sleazy inflating of prices like this one to claim huge discounts is a common practice, it's actually against FTC regulations (what people sometimes call laws) in the US -- and against stricter regulations in much of the rest of the world. It doesn't stop sleazy little businesses form engaging in those practices, and they're pretty common at some resellers. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

10 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I just love your thread title! My background is marketing/branding and I realize most people think that means soulless promotion person, but that's definitely not me. I love when bad, unethical practices are exposed. 

As can be seen, for example Fleer seems to think there's some value to the product but instead the silly MSRP sidetracked the whole thing and makes people a bit less open to what is, possibly, an ok plugin.

And I pretty much agree with the rest of your posts. Every time I've helped other people sell or have sold a product myself, I've always thought about making a good customer experience. But then again, that might be why I'm poor :D

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kirean said:

As can be seen, for example Fleer seems to think there's some value to the product but instead the silly MSRP sidetracked the whole thing and makes people a bit less open to what is, possibly, an ok plugin.

And I pretty much agree with the rest of your posts. Every time I've helped other people sell or have sold a product myself, I've always thought about making a good customer experience. But then again, that might be why I'm poor :D

Yeah, to be clear I have no idea if the developer makes good libraries or not, I was only looking at the practice of falsely inflating list prices to make discounts look bigger. If anyone goes to the developer's website,  his product clearly shows a list price of $149 USD on this library that Audioplugin.deals claims is $199. But Audioplugin.deals commonly engages in these practices. Some people may see at as no big deal, but it is absolutely a deceptive marketing practice and violates regulations and you've rightfully called it out. My guess is the reseller likely persuades the developer that a huge discount number sells products better and persuades them to go along with the con job. It's certainly not the worst of unethical marketing practices, but it's definitely not ethical. 

Hi everybody! Cohagen from Nightfox Audio here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention - this deal just went live, and we missed the proof from them before it did. It's being fixed, now!

Just a little background - when we first reached out to AudioPlugin.Deals about running this promo on one of our instruments, the MSRP for String Central was $199. Since then (a few weeks ago), we lowered the MSRP to $149 and are running a promo across all retailers (and our own site) of $99. We've asked APD to fix the MSRP on their site - it's definitely not their (or our!) intent to mislead anybody.

The feedback is heard and appreciated! I know what you guys mean - I can always feel when somebody's trying to trick me into a better deal. That's not how we do business here - that's a pretty bad way to gain people's trust. We're getting this addressed and will be more careful to make sure that our retail prices are in lockstep with what we've got on our site. We're a brand new publisher and are still getting a lot of things figured out. :) I hope you'll give us a shot! We've got a two week free trial for all of our instruments available on our site!

-Cohagen Wilkinson
COO // Nightfox Audio
cohagen@nightfoxaudio.com

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Cohagen Wilkinson said:

Hi everybody! Cohagen from Nightfox Audio here. Thanks for bringing this to our attention - this deal just went live, and we missed the proof from them before it did. It's being fixed, now!

Just a little background - when we first reached out to AudioPlugin.Deals about running this promo on one of our instruments, the MSRP for String Central was $199. Since then (a few weeks ago), we lowered the MSRP to $149 and are running a promo across all retailers (and our own site) of $99. We've asked APD to fix the MSRP on their site - it's definitely not their (or our!) intent to mislead anybody.

The feedback is heard and appreciated! I know what you guys mean - I can always feel when somebody's trying to trick me into a better deal. That's not how we do business here - that's a pretty bad way to gain people's trust. We're getting this addressed and will be more careful to make sure that our retail prices are in lockstep with what we've got on our site. We're a brand new publisher and are still getting a lot of things figured out. :) I hope you'll give us a shot! We've got a two week free trial for all of our instruments available on our site!

-Cohagen Wilkinson
COO // Nightfox Audio

Thanks for chiming in! On a friendly note, I thought your demos sound good. 

Just now, PavlovsCat said:

Thanks for chiming in! On a friendly note, I thought your demos sound good. 

Hey, thanks man! We've been working on our first family of instruments (3 launched, 6 to go!) for years now. It's been a long time running. We're trying hard to avoid mistakes like this that could tarnish the brand, but they do happen. I hope y'all don't hold it against us! Turns out, November is pretty crazy in our industry 🫠 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cohagen Wilkinson said:

Hey, thanks man! We've been working on our first family of instruments (3 launched, 6 to go!) for years now. It's been a long time running. We're trying hard to avoid mistakes like this that could tarnish the brand, but they do happen. I hope y'all don't hold it against us! Turns out, November is pretty crazy in our industry 🫠 

Well, I for one am now open to purchasing it again, so well done with the damage control. :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cohagen Wilkinson said:

Nah, even if you did make a mistake, if you correct it and you don't keep doing it, I don't think anyone is going to hold it against you. As long as you make excellent sample libraries.  People here realize that you're running a small business and that no one is perfect. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

I've heard back from AudioPlugin.Deals that they're unable to change the MSRP since the deal is live and they've already circulated the specifics in all of their advertising. Do you guys have any suggestions that could reduce the chances of misleading anybody? Since y'all brought this up, I'm open to suggestions! Maybe we could add a note in the description of the deal that the MSRP changed to $149 since the deal went live? 🤔

1 hour ago, Cohagen Wilkinson said:

-Cohagen Wilkinson
COO // Nightfox Audio

Yeah, thanks for chiming in. Made me look at your other libraries (piano / pluck) as well. Pretty interesting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cohagen Wilkinson said:

I've heard back from AudioPlugin.Deals that they're unable to change the MSRP since the deal is live and they've already circulated the specifics in all of their advertising. Do you guys have any suggestions that could reduce the chances of misleading anybody? Since y'all brought this up, I'm open to suggestions! Maybe we could add a note in the description of the deal that the MSRP changed to $149 since the deal went live? 🤔

Ow. That's a pickle.

But I'll second Pavlov's last take.

And if it's any consolation, I feel like it's more on APD than on you.  I originally titled the thread more as a frown towards APD, since one is safe to take the marketing spiel with a grain of salt. (And in all honesty, it's not like they're the only ones to sometimes stretch things a bit to make things look more enticing.)

Anyway. For the most part, I think you've already done enough to clarify the situation and clear out confusion. Your earlier posts give people the chance to form up an educated opinion and go from there. The fact that you showed up hints to people that you and your company might even care about things.

I also feel like the percentage might not be as 'big of a deal' to the wider audience, even if big numbers are catchy. People still have to pay the $ amount instead of the advertised percentage (which varies depending on the place of purchase anyway). And I assume that those that do care, tend to look at the lowest historical prices rather than the biggest "<number> off" anyway. 

This forum also seems a bit more fixated on particular details over proposed values than maybe some other communities, si I'd wager most people won't notice or care one way or another anyway. And if someone were to go 'Hmmm', they might simply go on with their life thinking that it's a classical case of MSRP not having been updated in a while.

• Like 1