Soft takeover MIDI controller for Cakewalk

Billy86

This looks mega intriguing. Four assignable 100mm faders, Cakewalk compatible, among many other DAWS. Affordable @ $100. I’ve seen so many vids of people controlling VSTi, from Spitfire for example, with these great controllers. But you look them up and they’re 5x the cost of this unit. This one is no frills. Assign 4 different CCs to control. Has anyone used this?

https://themidimaker.com/products/sparrow-4x100mm-midi-controller?variant=41128021360830&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwp8OpBhAFEiwAG7NaEpPk1kqn3q1sRzNLaOcliNBqFQGx--aqeGaJIe71DPZwxRC-0NcthxoCd4AQAvD_BwE

20 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

I don’t know. I don’t own one. I’d use the contact link here and ask: https://themidimaker.com/

HUH?  Did I misunderstand something?

It seemed to me you were asking "Has anyone used this?" with a specific reference to the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller based on the link you posted:

I thought you were looking for people who used the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller so you could get some feedback about it.  But, maybe you just wanted to know if anyone used it?  If so apologies for reading something into your intent.

In response, I posted a link to an issue someone was having with the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller and suggested you contact the OP (the person who had experiences with the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller, who sought help trying to solve a problem, and who received replies / suggestions).

So, your reply confuses me. 

Edited by User 905133
edits in the interest of clarity

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

It seemed to me you were asking "Has anyone used this?" with a specific reference to the Sparrow 400 (based on the link you posted):

I thought you were looking for people who used the Sparrow 400 so you could get some feedback about it.  But, maybe you just wanted to know if anyone used it?  If so apologies for reading something into your intent.

In response, I posted a link to an issue someone was having with the Sparrow 400 and suggested you contact the OP (the person who had experiences with the Sparrow 400).

No worries.  I was asking if anyone had used them. Your experience is interesting, but I can't answer your question:   "Is there a filter or gate I can use to only record changes?" because I don't actually have one, though I'm interested. That's why I suggested you contact the makers via their website. There's a contact form.  Apologies if I wasn't clear. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Billy86 said:

This looks mega intriguing. Four assignable 100mm faders, Cakewalk compatible, among many other DAWS. Affordable @ $100. I’ve seen so many vids of people controlling VSTi, from Spitfire for example, with these great controllers. But you look them up and they’re 5x the cost of this unit. This one is no frills. Assign 4 different CCs to control. Has anyone used this? [emphasis added]

I think I figured it out: You refer to "these great controllers," "they're  5x the cost of this unit," and "Has anyone used this?"  Your use of language confused me because it is impossible to tell what "these," "they," "this," and "this" refer to. 

2 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

No worries.  I was asking if anyone had used them. Your experience is interesting, but I can't answer your question:   "Is there a filter or gate I can use to only record changes?" because I don't actually have one, though I'm interested. That's why I suggested you contact the makers via their website. There's a contact form.  Apologies if I wasn't clear. 

HUH?   Not sure what you mean by my question and why you suggested I contact the vendor/maker. 

It makes no sense to me why you asked  "if anyone had used them." My original guess was that you wanted to know about them.  But if all you wanted to ask "if anyone had used them," then my post answered your question by pointing to someone in the forum who used one.

• Maybe it's not clear. Let me try one last time.
    • You asked a question. 
    • I tried to help you. 
    • I was not seeking any information about the Sparrow 4 x 100 mm midi controller from you or the person (OP = Original Poster] in the thread I gave you to try to help you. 

I don't own one of those, but have used the 3 fader version in another production room and was quite satisfied with performance. It was assigned to CC#3, CC#14, & CC#11. 

#3 (breath) & #11 (expression) are present in most orchestral VST'S, and #14 is usually freely assignable, so that worked for me. 

Well worth the money, altho they only contain about $35 in materials and can be easily made by anyone with a modicum of soldering skills. Programming is done via web portal, and cannot be changed on the fly, but otherwise OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, User 905133 said:

It seemed to me you were asking "Has anyone used this?" with a specific reference to the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller based on the link you posted:

I thought you were looking for people who used the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller so you could get some feedback about it.  But, maybe you just wanted to know if anyone used it?  If so apologies for reading something into your intent.

In response, I posted a link to an issue someone was having with the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller and suggested you contact the OP (the person who had experiences with the Sparrow 4 x 100mm midi controller, who sought help trying to solve a problem, and who received replies / suggestions).

I was ask8ng if anyone had these issues with any controller in general, not just the Sparrow.

17 minutes ago, SloHand Solo said:

I was ask8ng if anyone had these issues with any controller in general, not just the Sparrow.

Really?  Sorry if I misunderstood the thread. I don't think I did, but I'll apologize just in case.

On 10/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, SloHand Solo said:

I've got a four fader midi controller that sends constant midi messages regardless of whether the faders are moving or not.  Is there a filter or gate I can use to only record changes?

On 10/7/2023 at 7:12 PM, SloHand Solo said:
On 10/7/2023 at 4:43 PM, Promidi said:

What is the exact model of your “four fader midi controller”?

Its a MIDI Maker Sparrow 400

Sparrow 400