UJAM Virtual Drummer HEAVY 2 and SOLID 2 Bundle

cclarry

FWIW in my experience Ujam Heavy 2 ( and I guess their other drum V2 versions given that they have the same UI ) has a Ujam acknowledged problem for  Cakewalk users ( UI partially stops working). Might have been fixed now, but at the time I tried it (whenever it came out) their workaround was to delete and then undo the delete of the VST track (which worked only until it crashed again) and their idea of fixing the problem permanently was to use a different DAW .

4 hours ago, audioschmaudio said:

Oh. That sucks. Good for me that I'm using Ableton Live. But one would expect them to be able and willing to fix it and get it to work on all DAWs.

Yeah. They were quite responsive in terms of getting back to me quickly and AFAIK the CW guys are generally quite approachable when it comes to 3rd party VST problems (why wouldn't they be?) but I got the impression that they thought that trying to actually solve the problem on a "free" DAW that nobody uses wasn't worth the bother. 

5 hours ago, paulo said:

FWIW in my experience Ujam Heavy 2 ( and I guess their other drum V2 versions given that they have the same UI ) has a Ujam acknowledged problem for  Cakewalk users ( UI partially stops working). Might have been fixed now, but at the time I tried it (whenever it came out) their workaround was to delete and then undo the delete of the VST track (which worked only until it crashed again) and their idea of fixing the problem permanently was to use a different DAW .

Do you remember exactly how this issue was triggered? I bought Heavy 2 (and Solid 2) earlier today, but I can’t get the GUI to not respond, using the 2023.09 version of CbB. So far every button and knob I’ve tested in Heavy 2 reacts to mouse input as I would expect, and the UI keys reacts to my MIDI keyboard without a hitch.

16 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Do you remember exactly how this issue was triggered? I bought Heavy 2 (and Solid 2) earlier today, but I can’t get the GUI to not respond, using the 2023.09 version of CbB. So far every button and knob I’ve tested in Heavy 2 reacts to mouse input as I would expect, and the UI keys reacts to my MIDI keyboard without a hitch.

IIRC it seemed to be related to midi playback after the midi had been dragged/dropped into the instrument track. After a random time it would still play back ok, but the trigger keys would no longer light up on the UI (both the single hits and pattern triggers) and the drag and drop of midi would no longer work - can't remember if the single hit keys still worked or not.  V1 drums worked fine, so it seemed to definitely be a V2 problem. Ujam acknowledged that they had other reports of this from CW users. Maybe they fixed it now. I just thought it was worth mentioning in case any CW users were tempted to jump on this deal without trying the demo first.

Well, I can’t recreate that but I’ve only been testing some twenty minutes. Once a pattern has been dragged onto a track of the DAW and expanded into MIDI notes, only the individual drum hits (and not the pattern keys) will light up during playback. However, that’s exactly what I would expect. Also, I have no problems dragging and dropping additional patterns into CbB later on, but given my short, random tests, the results are indecisive. Maybe those problems indeed have been fixed, or maybe they are still there. I don't know.

1 hour ago, Canopus said:

Well, I can’t recreate that but I’ve only been testing some twenty minutes. Once a pattern has been dragged onto a track of the DAW and expanded into MIDI notes, only the individual drum hits (and not the pattern keys) will light up during playback. However, that’s exactly what I would expect. Also, I have no problems dragging and dropping additional patterns into CbB later on, but given my short, random tests, the results are indecisive. Maybe those problems indeed have been fixed, or maybe they are still there. I don't know.

Once the UI had done it's thing the trigger keys would no longer light up at all, not just during playback and drag/drop was no longer functional. 20 minutes was usually more than enough for it to happen. Typically it would play through a song the first time just fine, but would fail during a subsequent playback, often the very next one, but at random times, so no clue as to what it was that it didn't like. That's why I gave up on it. Having to delete and undo delete the track every few minutes soon became tiresome. I can't try it one again as It seems that you can no longer load Ujam stuff without first installing their proprietary manager (cr)app, which I'm not going to do just to demo something.