The One That I Adore

RexRed

Just two tracks in this song so far,

Still a work in progress. πŸ˜‰

Harmonica solo and a few more tracks planned.

Hope you like this song awesome Cakewalk peeps!

Critiques and suggestions welcome...

πŸŒΉπŸ’—πŸ˜˜

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Sweet ..Β  Β I can't wait to hear where this goes. I Loved the choruses and the transition into them.Β  Β 

Enjoyed it ..Β  Β mark

Did some work tonight on it, added a bass and sung oohs, ahhs, dubs, and some harmonies.

Will consider more for tomorrow maybe some organs, strings, possibly some brass and definitely some pads, maybe a drum here and there.

• Like 1

Hey awesome Cakewalk peeps, here is a partially finished song.

I added the oohs and ahhs, the dubs, the harmonies, the bass and the harmonica solo.Β 

I am planning on adding a pad in the solo areas, a cello, organ and maybe some brass (maybe a drum track here and there).

Not much left and it is finished.

Any suggestions let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for your comments and help peeps! πŸ’—

I've never heard anything from you that wasn't excellently written, performed and sung. You have serious talent at the level of the great singer/songwriters that came out of the 70s (Harry Chapin, Harry Nillson, James Taylor, etc.). I LOVE that era of artists and I'm guessing those are some of your influences and a lot of talented singer/songwriters have those same influences, but they can't create art with authenticity at the same level as their influences and you clearly can and that is extremely rare.Β In a just world, you'd be selling millions of records. I'm sincerely surprised that you're even posting here and it kind of bothers me that someone with your talent isn't a major international act. Hopefully, someday soon that will change.Β 

Anyhow, my late mother, a very talented musician and music teacher, told me when I was a young musician just starting to get work,Β  that when I play with or hear musicians that are deeply talented, whose playing or music really moves me to always let them know my appreciation, don't let it go unspoken because that feedback can be deeply meaningful and motivational. So, with that in mind, I wanted to not hold back my real thoughts on your work. I wish you the success you deserve. Great work.Β 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RexRed said:

I think it is finished, I refreshed the song above with the final version. Thanks for the listens Cakewalk peeps, much appreciated your input! 🌞

It's fantastic, like your stuff always is, but I have a reservation about the harmonica. It sounds very harsh and in-your-face to me. I know it's a personal thing and you're probably quite happy with it but I'd try to soften it a bit (with some reverb perhaps?) or maybe consider doing the solo with a different instrument.

Just my 2p worthΒ πŸ™‚

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

It's fantastic, like your stuff always is, but I have a reservation about the harmonica. It sounds very harsh and in-your-face to me. I know it's a personal thing and you're probably quite happy with it but I'd try to soften it a bit (with some reverb perhaps?) or maybe consider doing the solo with a different instrument.

Just my 2p worthΒ πŸ™‚

I tried to soften the harmonica by adding a shelf in the eq to cut down on the air a bit. This song has been added to a video and published already but maybe one day I will revisit the song. I hope the harmonica is at least passible. It is a very intimate instrument (which is why I chose it) and very hard to get right. I am not sure that I have ever gotten the harmonica tracks right that I have put in songs.Β  I remember my dog used to cry and yelp when I would play the harmonica. It produces tones maybe the human ear cannot even hear I think. Well, again, I just hope at this point it is passible. Thanks for your valuable feedback Keith! πŸ’

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I've never heard anything from you that wasn't excellently written, performed and sung. You have serious talent at the level of the great singer/songwriters that came out of the 70s (Harry Chapin, Harry Nillson, James Taylor, etc.). I LOVE that era of artists and I'm guessing those are some of your influences and a lot of talented singer/songwriters have those same influences, but they can't create art with authenticity at the same level as their influences and you clearly can and that is extremely rare.Β In a just world, you'd be selling millions of records. I'm sincerely surprised that you're even posting here and it kind of bothers me that someone with your talent isn't a major international act. Hopefully, someday soon that will change.Β 

Anyhow, my late mother, a very talented musician and music teacher, told me when I was a young musician just starting to get work,Β  that when I play with or hear musicians that are deeply talented, whose playing or music really moves me to always let them know my appreciation, don't let it go unspoken because that feedback can be deeply meaningful and motivational. So, with that in mind, I wanted to not hold back my real thoughts on your work. I wish you the success you deserve. Great work.Β 

Hello PavlovsCat! I very much appreciate your great comment friend! I love writing and making music, to me it is not a profession but more of a lifestyle. I am fortunate that my music is now partially supporting my efforts. I wish it was more mainstream but I will take even limited success. I certainly have found a fair amount of fame but the fortune part is much harder to achieve. There is a lot of competition and perhaps my ship has already sailed, but being that my music was never about fortune but about the sheer love of the song, I persevere anyway. I own over 2000 vinal records so I have so many influences that I am surrounded by such greatness and if can emulate their styles and skills in even a small way I am very happy about that. I post here because I am a huge Cakewalk fan and maybe this forum is small but it is full of kindred souls that I understand and feel linked toΒ  in a deep and inexplicably passionate way.

Your late mother sounds like a wonderful person indeed. As I mentioned I have managed to find a bit of fame but the fortune part I still struggle with. This fame can take a lot out of me because it must be maintained. i.e. responding to hundreds of comments regularly to let my fans know I am a personal friend who wants to keep their sweet affection. These fans are lovely to have and worth all the fortune in the world. Sometimes I shock people with my performance and leave them incapable of formulating a response. That is okay too. Shock is a response as well and not to be treated lightly. 😘 I thank you for not holding back and for letting me understand your point of view, it is a rare quality which it seems you have many. I hope to hear more from you as I value your input and your friendly manner. Best to you and again, many thanks for the truly great response!  

• Like 3