Crashing problem solving

David Pollock

Question

I know there are MANY posts about crashing, and I've read a bunch of them, but have yet to find a solution. I have a large project that has 52 tracks of nothing but EastWest Play instruments. All of a sudden, it is crashing ten minutes or so after opening it. A variety of things are happening at the moment it crashes: I've muted a track, dragged a track, edited an envelope, etc. I cannot determine a particular action causing it. I opened in Safe Mode with no effects as well as turned them off once opened. That makes no difference. I'm at a loss of what to do.

Edited by David Pollock

10 answers to this question

I have managed to get the project working again by painstakingly changing each of the 52 instruments to a different instrument patch and then back again to the correct patch. Once I did that, the crashing stopped--so far at least. Now I have a bizarre problem with the Play instruments going out of tune for no reason I can find. EastWest refuses to help since this is with Cakewalk, so it remains to be seen if I can actually finish this or not.

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Is it possible some audio related device is going to sleep?  This could cause a driver to crash, or Cakewalk to crash if it wasn't notified of it going away.

Check your USB sleep settings just in case.

Mmmm. Not that I can tell. There is only one device--a MOTU M2, and it's not sleeping.

18 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

@David Pollock have you disabled USB power management? 

I had not, but I did, then rebooted and relaunched. Still crashed. And I just discovered something I had not noted before. It was crashing at the same exact place in the section I was currently working on (but it also crashed in lots of other places, so it is not just this one place). It seems like I might be able to discover something from this. There are not that many instruments with notes at this point of the crash, and although there is some envelope activity on the tracks, there is nothing changing at the place of the crash. What else should I consider?

@David Pollock do you FX in the tracks? You could try removing one at a time to see if that works. I can't remember but I think if you use mix recall it remembers FX so take a snapshot, remove an FX, I would save the FX settings as a preset so they are easily recalled.

The other option is to use safe start and exculd a plugin at a time, lengthy I know. 

3 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

@David Pollock do you FX in the tracks? You could try removing one at a time to see if that works. I can't remember but I think if you use mix recall it remembers FX so take a snapshot, remove an FX, I would save the FX settings as a preset so they are easily recalled.

The other option is to use safe start and exculd a plugin at a time, lengthy I know. 

Thanks, yes, I've started in safe mode without all fx. Still crashed. So those aren't the  issue.