I need help with a problem I have with cakewalk

Zayco

I need help with a problem I have with cakewalk, when I enter the app I do not have projects to start nor do I have folder icons, there are folders that are missing but every time I uninstall the program those folders do not return but rather the same projects that I created continue.

Problem.png

My guess would be you moved or renamed a high-level folder that rendered the previous paths invalid. CbB checks validity of paths in the Recent list, and removes any that don't check out. This may be new as I also just noticed this behavior recently when I deleted some junk projects and renamed some folders using Windows Explorer. I knew this would have fallout in the Recent list but was pleasantly surprised that it automatically cleared up the list rather than throwing an error when trying to open a missing project.

• Like 2

The strange thing is that when you delete the entire program including its folders, and when you reinstall it, the folders that you deleted including the program and the icons do not return.

I tried to look for the icons and projects folder on my PC but I can't find it even though I reinstalled the program several times and deleted everything

16 minutes ago, Zayco said:

The strange thing is that when you delete the entire program including its folders, and when you reinstall it, the folders that you deleted including the program and the icons do not return.

I tried to look for the icons and projects folder on my PC but I can't find it even though I reinstalled the program several times and deleted everything

Deleting & reinstalling probably isn't the best way forward here.

If you've deleted all its folders with Windows Explorer there's a chance you've deleted all your projects as well. I hope this isn't the case.

Reinstalling the program will NOT reinstate any projects that might have been deleted.

If you can find your projects, make a note of the folder location. 

Then open up Cakewalk, go to Preferences > File> Folder Locations and make sure the first entry is correct

Funny how people jump on re install as a solution when it possibly never is. It actually can make a mess of things.

Is what you are saying is the default factory template icons are missing as shown in the screenshot? 
All I can think is you changed something here. 

Screenshot(610).png.a0ba53e73a3643c2254c22093a7a60a2.png

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 2

If the missing projects aren't in your recycle bin and you don't have a backup, you should stop and run a file recovery app and see what it can restore. I used a program called "Recuva" years ago, but not sure what the best/better options might be today. Plus Windows 10/11 have a lot more built-in file recovery capabilities now. In any case, you need to stop doing things that write anything to your hard drive, and get your projects recovered.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Are you just trying to confirm your installation is complete and valid? If Cakewalk loads successfully and you have access to default templates under New Project and things like Prochannel modules and presets, arpeggiator patterns and CAL scripts, there probably isn't anything wrong with your installation.

Just for reference, my  Cakewalk Core folder contains 23 files, 16 of which are .DLLs.

Did you find your project files?

7 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

And DEFINITELY not by deleting whole folders using Windows Explorer

That is a recipe for disaster

This!  
I have installed Cakewalk a zillion times on a zillion different computers for a zillion years. I have never once needed to fix, delete, remove, re install or rollback to an older version- nothing has ever not worked. 

Google “clean install of Cakewalk” for proper instructions on removing Cakewalk 100 % from your computer. 

• Like 1