lol they can't escape

pwal³

https://www.npr.org/2013/04/28/179267628/michael-bubl-on-fishing-sinatra-and-auto-tune

"People's ears are so tuned to it now. It's almost cosmetic surgery — you can fix little things."

Oh, brother! Spare us that nonsense.

Just a few days ago, I was reflecting on the exact opposite -   how prevalent tuning and intonation, pitch, and timing issues are amongst guitarists and bass players. And it's like most people don't hear it. 

Even though my love of the instrument is a lifelong affair, I consider myself a mediocre guitarist, in many ways cripplingly less skilled than folks posting lessons and gear demos online, and yet, I find it hard to believe how constantly one or more of these issues creep up in their videos. People with terrifying chops who are seemingly tone-deaf. And the vibrato...  

The more years pass, the more I feel as if the whole world is going out of tune.

So, yeah. Not buying it, Mr. Buble. It's called signing, and when done right, autotune is not necessary. I've heard enough people do it properly and consistently, under much more difficult conditions, and with material a lot more demanding, way too often to turn a deaf ear to that kind of rubbish. Of course, accidents happen live, but the video above is a train wreck, not an accident.  And if you NEED autotune in the studio, stop making excuses or go get thee a vocal coach. 

Anyway, people still buy and enjoy those Elvis and Sinatra record right?

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No matter how you try, you will never tune a guitar to perfect pitch, the best advice I've heard if you use autotune solo the rhythm guitar and then tune the vocal to that.

using autotune live is just lazy & stupid. BTW Mr. Buble sucks so bad👎🏼

Edited by Old Joad
  • Like 1

I'm  pretty sure I once heard him on a radio interview saying that he never used any kind of tuning on his vocals... the reason it stuck in my mind ( apart from the fact that it was clearly BS) is because he used the wrong term and said that there is no use of pro-tools or anything like that on any of his albums. Just liberal helpings of the cheesiest cheese.*

* That last bit might have been the voice in my head.