How to increase amount of content that can be shared from CWBB through BandLab online account

Hill62

I’ve been trying to get a couple friends who are less technical to share songs we can work on together remotely using built in features of Cakewalk and the BandLab for Projects and Library.  There are apparently some limits to sharing projects. Not sure if it is limited by size, or how many files shared. In either case I have not found any options to increase the amount of content allowed. I haven’t found a way to upgrade the account or pay for more storage for this particular feature only.

if someone could direct me to these options, or confirm there are no options bedsides the account’s current limitations I’d appreciate it.

thx!

If you haven’t checked it out, it is a really useful feature imo. I’m hoping it is expanded in the paid versions.

one option i use is to sync files to a cloud service (in my case i mostly use the Google Drive) -- i use a sync program to keep the cloud updated from my local SSD. and when i switch devices (PC or laptop) then i simply sync  from the cloud to the device. as i have 2TB of cloud storage, space is not a problem. even with using my phone data sharing, since the sync program is only moving changed files, the updates are reasonably quick, and with high speed network, it's just a few seconds.

as a note: i keep all my content off of the cloud drives as they often create contention for file access and causing crashes or file corruption when using my programs (whether DAW or design tools). so that is why i use the sync method, it can double some of the storage needed but is much much safer, plus the cloud drives are on a separate SSD (both laptop and desktop devices) so there  are 2 local copies on a given machine plus the cloud.

however, if purely doing composition or independent tracking - i'd suggest using a composition tool like BandLab or Hookpad etc which is web based, and if independently tracking, just share a stereo mix MP3 for people to perform to and then share those recorded tracks into the master mix / record project.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

I appreciate the thoughtful answer and suggestions, and I’ll consider them as well.

But I’m really looking to see if I can expand the capabilities built into CbB and BandLab, keeping everything in the same environment. Was hoping if it can’t be done now, maybe a preview of possibilities in the new version coming.

I can upload a file (a track or full mix) and share with my friends on BandLab, and they can download it to their CbB and add to it or edit etc, then they can upload it. Or listen to uploads on our phones, iPads, etc… It’s just we are meeting barriers doing this after a few files. 

thx!

Have you looked in the Cakewalk Reference Guide? There used to be a way to share stuff between the two.  Let me see if I can find a link to that section in the Online Documentation. Does this help? As for integration with forthcoming Cakewalk products (Cakewalk Next and Cakewalk Sonar) you will have to wait until there is more information available. 

As for increased storage space, you might want to contact Bandlab help/support. 

Edited by User 905133

BandLab has a limit to song length (IIRC 15 minutes) and also tracks (16 tracks). 
If all you are doing is using it for private file sharing, you could achieve the same with any file sharing service. Of course you won’t get the integration, socializing features that BL has.
Ultimately depending on demand we may provide access to a more advanced tier for this. The upcoming Cakewalk Next has much deeper BandLab integration, and Sonar as well has been enhanced in this regard.

• Like 3