Pro Channel modules

greg54

I was watching this guy on youtube, and he had some plugins in his Pro Channel that I can't find.  I'm on the latest version of CbB.  The plugins were:  VX 64 Vocal Strip, the SSL EV2 Channel Stereo, the Pui EPQ1A, and some others.   I looked under modules, but I can't find them.    

At 7:47 in the video you can see these plugins.  I don't know how to add them onto the Pro Channel.

The VX 64 Vocal chain came with an older version of Sonar and is not included with CbB.  If you have an old Sonar edition, it can be custom-downloaded from the installation disc.  The SSL EV2 Channel stereo plug-in is from Waves and can be purchased from them.  As you see in the video, any plug-in can be added via the f/x chain module in the Pro Channel strip.  If these are unavailable to you, not to worry, there are many free VST's that can fill in for these plug-ins.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lynn Wilson said:

The VX 64 Vocal chain came with an older version of Sonar and is not included with CbB.  If you have an old Sonar edition, it can be custom-downloaded from the installation disc.  The SSL EV2 Channel stereo plug-in is from Waves and can be purchased from them.  As you see in the video, any plug-in can be added via the f/x chain module in the Pro Channel strip.  If these are unavailable to you, not to worry, there are many free VST's that can fill in for these plug-ins.

Minor correction - the VX64 IS included in CbB, it's just hidden by default. Goto the Utilities > Cakewalk Plugin manager and hit "Show Excluded"

But it's hidden for a reason and may well cause instabilities on your system

VX64.thumb.jpg.b3ed08fc2f1e82e0d5bc83ac2b8c324a.jpg

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It *can* be useful in part of a chain (in fact, the reason it hasn't been removed entirely, I think, is because it was part of a lot of FX Chain Modules) and I do like the saturation and quick EQ, but the doubler is a bit ehhhh and, I agree, the de-esser is kind of rubbish. That said, it's definitely found its way into a lot of my mixes over the years - it's a handy tool to have in the arsenal. :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

It *can* be useful in part of a chain (in fact, the reason it hasn't been removed entirely, I think, is because it was part of a lot of FX Chain Modules) and I do like the saturation and quick EQ, but the doubler is a bit ehhhh and, I agree, the de-esser is kind of rubbish. That said, it's definitely found its way into a lot of my mixes over the years - it's a handy tool to have in the arsenal. :)

I think there are other things I can use.   If it's a little unstable at times, it's not worth using, to me.  Thanks!

59 minutes ago, greg54 said:

I think there are other things I can use.   If it's a little unstable at times, it's not worth using, to me.  Thanks!

Ehh, I'm not finding it particularly unstable honestly (YMMV) but I think you could probably build a decent chain yourself anyway.

Sonitus Gate to get rid of noise between phrases > Sonitus EQ to pre-shape the vocal > Sonitus Compressor to tame the peaks > Sonitus Multiband with only band 4 enabled and tuned to clamp down on sibilance to act as a de-esser > Sonitus Compressor to level the vocal > final Sonitus EQ to shape the vocal sound.

Put all of those in a FX Chain Preset and you have an instant vocal channel strip, and you can even assign custom controls to each thing.

If you want saturation, drop that FX Chain Preset into the ProChannel FX Chain module and add Tube or Tape emulation.

Obviously you could also build on that by putting in the Sonitus Delay for slapback, etc. - it's kind of limitless what you can do, and super easy once it's just there as a single FX Chain you can drop in without ever needing to think about it, and entirely free so you don't need to grab any paid vocal channel strips. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Sonitus Gate to get rid of noise between phrases > Sonitus EQ to pre-shape the vocal > Sonitus Compressor to tame the peaks > Sonitus Mutiband with only band 4 enabled and tuned to clamp down on sibilance to act as a de-esser > Sonitus Compressor to level the vocal > final Sonitus EQ to shape the vocal sound.

Put all of those in a FX Chain Preset and you have an instant vocal channel strip, and you can even assign custom controls to each thing.

If you want saturation, drop that FX Chain Preset into the ProChannel FX Chain module and add Tube or Tape emulation.

Thanks, Lord Tim!

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with the stability of the VX64 vocal plugin. The deeser is decent and I often use it, it being handy for being able to listen to just the potentially offending areas. The delay and doubler are handy being right there, too, but use judiciously as they can be overkill. I never use the saturation or compander in there.