Cakewalk files inside Google Drive and "Read only" error message when saving.

Edward Allen

Question

Hi

I am using Cakewalk across 2 Windows machines:

• A Laptop in the band room, which takes the files direct from my mixing console.
  • My main workhorse PC in my office in another part of the house.

I have been using Google Drive to save my work in Cakewalk, so I can easily access the same files on both machines easily, but have noticed that at times I cannot save a file to my Google Drive, and I get an error notification saying that it is "Read only" However I can save the same file outside of Google Drive (say in the windows documents folder for example) without problem.

I know that some apps just don't like to have files inside of Google Drive, and I wondered if Cakewalk was the same? If so, do you have any suggestions for a workaround so I can access the same work files across the 2 devices please?

Many thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

Is it possible Cakewalk was opened on both machines? There are network sharing hurdles that sites handle differently, but the most common is the first to get a file locks it to everyone else. This can remain locked until the application that opened it is closed sometimes (not sure if Google Drive itself can cause this though).

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

Why don’t you use an external drive?  
I use cloud storage for lots of sharing between devices but 48/24 audio is a bit much to ask. 

Lots of people use SSD external drives with laptops so they don’t fill up the C drive. But I would still want a backup plan

A second option is to set up a network and use a 3rd Computer as as a server. It can be an old junker with a SSD. 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1

I use google drive for all tasks that are CW related, and haven't encounter any uses, BUT the audio data is pointed to a drive that is outside Google Drive, meaning that the project file is cloud based, but the audio is not.

I had the problem you mentioned, and at the time it was suggested that writing audio files in the cloud was a slow process, as the service has to synchronize them, and it takes time, so, eventually it leads to errors.

I adjusted my workflow so that after each session I make a backup of the session - audio included - , in the cloud.

So far, it works fine for me, but I guess everybody has its own preferred workflow.

• Like 1