Advice for Articulation Map Velocity

sadicus

Question

Trying Articulation Maps for Kontact 6 Factory Library Flute.
Something odd is with some articulations the Velocity can be at "1", yet the audible sound is still to loud loud. (meter shows -36db)
So far"Long" is the only articulation that regulates the volume level as expected. Usually Velocity is around 25-127 and 27 is pretty quite.

I'm sure there are a few ways to mix this, just looking for a few suggestions from this helpful, knowledgeable community.
A few things to try:
1) set the velocity back to the 50 range, then just record the audio and automate the volume as necessary.

Cbb_ArticulationMapsVelocity.jpg

4 answers to this question

# of samples in a given instrument, and the range at which the sample player can interpret and apply velocity levels, can impact the levels available - so if i have 2 samples per note - one loud, one half that, then setting the level any where below the trigger velocity for that sample will always be pretty the same. having the instrument with 16 sample levels / note type will be much more flexible, and if the sampler app playing it can respond to velocity in smaller increments, then the sky is the limit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

# of samples in a given instrument, and the range at which the sample player can interpret and apply velocity levels, can impact the levels available

Kontakt should be able to scale volume/loudness more or less continuously across the velocity range regardless of the number of velocity layers. What you typically hear with a limited number of velocity layers is sudden transitions in timbre, not volume.

I haven't played around with articulation maps much at all but if the OP shares the .artmap file, I can give it a shot with the Kontakt Factory Library and see if I can reproduce and/or diganose the problem.

• Like 1

I made an articulation map for the Kontakt Factory Library "Flute (all)" patch based on the following "style" info and did a quick test:

case (24)
            message ("Staccato 1")
            set_text ($info,"Staccato 1")
        case (25)
            message ("Staccato 2")
            set_text ($info, "Staccato 2")
        case (26)
            message ("Sustain")
            set_text ($info, "Sustain")
        case (27)
            message ("Sforzando")
            set_text ($info, "Sforzando")
        case (28)
            message ("Fortepiano")
            set_text ($info, "Fortepiano")

I found the volume variation with velocity worked pretty much as expected for all articulations. The Staccato, Sforzando and Fortepiano articulations are initially a bit  louder due to their emphasized attacks, and indeed, the lowest level you can get at the default MIDI volume of 101 is around -36dB for these articulations vs, about 10 dB lower for the Sustain articulation. -36dB is pretty quiet at normal monitoring levels, but if you need to go lower, you can just lower the instrument's overall level using either MIDI Volume or Expression. For example, lowering the MIDI track Volume to 64 allowed a minimum level for a single Stacatto note of about -50dB and a maxmum of -19dB - a 30dB dynamic range which seems reasonable for a flute.