Loopback issues

jkoseattle

Question

I am unable to do loopback recording in Cakewalk. I am using a Focusrite 2+2. I am not sure what settings I need to enable.

I can record in Audacity, but the resulting recording is poor, full of pops and clicks.

When I try recording in Cakewalk, I am recording nothing at all, but I STILL get pops and clicks from the audio source, which continue for a few seconds even after stopping playback.

I used to do this all the time, but like so many of these kinds of things, it's something I got set up in like 2017 and forgot all about it. Now having to reset it all it's like I have to learn it all over.

I probably don't have all the things you need to know to diagnose this listed here, so ask away.

17 answers to this question

Yes that is the model. In Audacity, the input and output are set up "Speakers (Focusrite USB Audio)" and that's all I've done. If I try to set Recording to something else from the list, it doesn't work at all.

But if the Focusrite doesn't have a loopback feature (something I vaguely recall come to think of it), then how might I have been doing it in Cakewalk before??

51 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

Yes that is the model. In Audacity, the input and output are set up "Speakers (Focusrite USB Audio)" and that's all I've done. If I try to set Recording to something else from the list, it doesn't work at all.

But if the Focusrite doesn't have a loopback feature (something I vaguely recall come to think of it), then how might I have been doing it in Cakewalk before??

Highlight the section you want to loop record, record your information and then drag the wav clips onto its own tracks. Some clips will be greyed out, highlight these clips and press the lettet "K." 

Do you have your drivers installed to get rid of your clicks and pops. 

Edited by Will.

44 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

how might I have been doing it in Cakewalk before??

Maybe using onboard sound? Most internal sound chips/cards have an option in the mixer to use the output as an input for recording - commonly called "What U Hear" or "Stereo Mix".

Otherwise you would need to physically patch outputs to inputs on your Focusrite.

If you see "Speakers Focusrite" that tells me you are not using the ASIO driver. It should say Focusrite ASIO. 

The Loopback feature has become a very popular feature for ASIO audio interfaces because of the increase in live streaming.  In my case I use it as the input source for OBS screen capture software. It is an internal loopback and part of the ASIO driver.  Loopback Mix allows me to run Cakewalk using ASIO as well as feed OBS from Win Amp and talk into my mike simultaneously.

There was nothing wrong with my Scarlett 6i6, but to use it, I had to run Cakewalk in WASAPI shared mode and use a small mixer to manage this. Sort of sucks when your trying to teach software that you are recommending ASIO but you are actually not using it yourself!  So I bought the Motu M4. I see many new interfaces like Tascam and the Focusrite 4i4 have it.

If it's a feature you need then just upgrade. Otherwise you go down a rabbit hole of bad solutions. 

Edited by JohnnyV

I'm obviously doing something wrong (as usual :^)

I'm new to OBS. Installed it and can record, with sound, from a browser. But can't get OBS to record output from Cakewalk. I have an 8i6, 3rd Gen.  I added the Loopback (following a Focusrite tutorial) and it shows in Cakewalk.

image.png.9bfe96347832e3674554997d963f0fbe.png

If I play a project in Cakewalk I see output on the Loopback port in Focusrite Control

image.thumb.png.e73e3961fb714fe75e8bd9b54374c142.png

In OBS, if I capture the Cakewalk Window and look at the Desktop Audio options, I only see "Focusrite USB Audio" - not sure if I should see the Loopback as an option(?). If so, no idea how to get it to show up.

image.png.006f9ff31eaf51e4385db73867383736.png

If I pick the Focusrite USB Audio and play the Cakewalk project, no sound is captured. 

image.png.5055fd5939a52d7ce9a2c262848a6a35.png

Any idea what I am doing wrong?   :^(

In OBS audio settings you need to choose the Loopback as Desktop audio or Mike input. Try the options.
My Motu has one that is just Loopback and one that is called Loopback Mix which is the one that works for me. I can play Cakewalk, Media player and talk into my mike while recording inOBS. 

It’s fussy to set up but it does work. And make sure everything is set to 48 sample rate. 

Thanks John! Problem is I can't find any reference to the Loopback as an option. I tried uninstall/reinstall of OBS but the Loopback is just not there. Not sure what else to try. Cakewalk is set to 48/24, but some test Projects load at 44.1/24. OBS is also set to 48.

OBS doesn't record Audio for either.

image.png.4cfa728e16407a7a138caa39b87d648e.png

Edited by Sal Sorice
Add context

You should disable those other audio devices you don’t need in Windows sound settings. That’s probably why it’s not working because OBS is using windows not the Scarlett. And you seemed to have chosen Default. Choose the Focusrite. 

You see mine has the Loopback as 2 options. I use the Mix as that captures everything happening on the computer. 

What does it look like in Cakewalk?  

Screenshot (1461).png

Screenshot (1462).png

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

You should disable those other audio devices you don’t need in Windows sound settings. That’s probably why it’s not working because OBS is using windows not the Scarlett. And you seemed to have chosen Default. Choose the Focusrite. 

You see mine has the Loopback as 2 options. I use the Mix as that captures everything happening on the computer. 

What does it look like in Cakewalk?  

Screenshot (1461).png

Screenshot (1462).png

Thanks again John. Not at my Music PC until tomorrow but will take a look. Note: Choosing any input (other than Default) does not help.

Cakewalk shows the Loopback:

image.png.8c9ac90b0189cabb38264e20afaf34a9.png

Focusrite Control shows activity on the Loopback:

image.thumb.png.c94615a7d56bf229b9c5095353612ca3.png

I set OBS to the Focusrite as default:

image.png.079c780a9c80846846fc72360dd06205.png

OBS picks up sound from the Microphone.

OBS picks up sound (Desktop Audio) if I choose a Browser window as a Source.

I can also insert an Audio Track and set its input to the Loopback and record:

image.png.f54bcdb9bef841b54f93f4b413e820fa.png

Just no sound when I choose Cakewalk as a source in OBS and play a project.

I’m just installing all my software to a new computer so later on I’ll be installing OBS. I’ll see then if there’s some setting I’m not mentioning that is needed. 
Basically if Cakewalk is seeing the Loopback then OBS should too. 
I don’t have any on board or HDMI audio on my current computer so it forces all apps to recognize my interfaces. 
I have a feeling OSB defaults to using the windows audio as in its using WASAPI shared. But maybe it has a setting to use ASIO.  

Success! I found the answer by stumbling upon this very informative video:
Focusrite Control Loopback - Step-by-Step Setup Guide - YouTube

Note to @John Vere  - did not need to disable any Audio Devices - and thanks again for all your help!! I now hope this helps someone else  😁

In Focusrite Control you have to "expose" all the available channels to the operating system (so OBS can see them).
(Note: This only works for 3rd Gen+ Scarlett interfaces - 2nd Gen does not have Loopback capability). 

In Windows System Tray, click on the ^ icon and select show hidden icons:
image.png.4515302e06c8167e7d839c8f400b95d9.png

Right-click on the Focusrite icon and choose "Expose / Hide Windows Channels"
image.png.38410af868a2b522c78660a69aca0428.png

I'm using Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen and I checked off everything except SPDIF (I don't use it - adjust per your Scarlett Model / needs):

Before:
image.png.5a54ff46b1364ada82d738b60e693575.png

After:
image.png.427aa38e9939f9d55be73f09a90b8ed5.png

Then, go into Windows Sound Settings (you can right-click on the speaker icon by the clock to get there or just type "sound settings" in the Windows search box.
image.png.bdcc1f49a403da470d302108749bbf5a.png

Set the OBS Profile to use the (now exposed) Loopback:
image.thumb.png.311d428bbb1448f243683cb0360d958a.png

And now it shows up in OBS as an available device to select for "Audio Input Capture":
image.png.a4bff89cb754d5bfa6aceb9216c3a1a1.png

Now, when you play a Project in Cakewalk OBS will capture the sound!
image.thumb.png.39549e36358de1d3fb18a2f330220cd9.png

Thanks again to @John Vere - I've learned a lot from your very instructive Tutorial Videos!

• Like 2