Tool Button Hotkey Questions [Answered]

sjoens

1. Shouldn't hitting F5 repeatedly cycle thru Smart tool options?  I've found no hotkey to do this.  Answer: NO
      Hit F5 to select Smart tool if not already selected
      Hit F5 repeatedly toggles between Smart tool and last selected tool
      If no other tool was selected, hitting F5 repeatedly does nothing

Hit F9 selects Draw tool
      Hit F9 repeatedly cycles thru Draw tool options
      F8, F9, & F10 behave this way.  F5 does not.

2.  Hotkeys don't work with HUD, shouldn't they?!  Answer: I think so

Edited by sjoens

• sjoens changed the title to Tool Button Hotkey Questions
23 hours ago, sjoens said:

1. Shouldn't hitting F5 repeatedly cycle thru Smart tool options?  I've found no hotkey to do this.

I couldn't find in the Reference Guide where its says that F5 cycles through the Smart tools. I thought the tool was smart in the sense that it did different things based on context and the cursor switched as a clue to what it was about to do.  The Reference guide says:

The Smart tool is the default tool in Cakewalk. The Smart tool is a multi-function tool that combines functions from several other tools. The function is determined by where you click. [emphasis added]

On the other hand other tools are listed as cycling through different functions based on the key press (F8, F9, F10).  To me they are not smart tools because we have to cycle through the functions manually.

Its almost like you are wanting the Smart Tool to loose its "smartness" so you can cycle through the options with an F-Key.

• Thanks 1

... guess I'm not as smart as Smart Tool. 9_9

You're right,  Smart Tool options are more for eliminating functions rather than changing tools, so my question makes no sense.

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

I couldn't find in the Reference Guide where its says that F5 cycles through the Smart tools.

I doesn't.  I learned this thru experience.

Still think point 2 would be nice.

• sjoens changed the title to Tool Button Hotkey Questions {Answered]
7 hours ago, sjoens said:

T opens the HUD.  But once there, you can't use hotkeys to switch tools.

But you have only one click with mouse to choose what you want. You barley have to move your hand because the menu is already there.  What's the difference? And it seems to work in all views. Some hotkeys don't. 

• sjoens changed the title to Tool Button Hotkey Questions [Answered]