Projects doubled up [solved]

Helios.G

Hey guys.  A long time ago I setup my folders in cakewalk to point to an external drive.  I used a method that @scook put up here somewhere where you use a powershell and point to the drive you want. Now that's worked great for me for literally years, but today while working on a session it wouldn't save, and kept saying my drive was full. So I ran a check on all my drives and they all came up ok. Then I started poking around, and I noticed that my projects where being written to both my external drive and my internal os drive. I've never seen this happen before.  My last session shows up as last worked on today in both drives in the exact same location.  When I tried re-doing the Scook powershell trick, it told me it already existed. How do I get it to stop writing in both places? This is sort of driving me nuts to be honest.  Any help with this will be really appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Are you meaning Symbolic Links? (can also be done with MKlink commands)

Yes, mklinks. When I had set them up originally, it worked great. Nothing was being written to my os.  I just checked again, and I confirmed it's writing identical copies of the same project to both os and external drives.   It's driving me nuts cause I don't like doing anything to the os drive and seeing the amount of gigs written to it is raising my blood pressure!

24 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

Yes, mklinks. When I had set them up originally, it worked great. Nothing was being written to my os.  I just checked again, and I confirmed it's writing identical copies of the same project to both os and external drives.   It's driving me nuts cause I don't like doing anything to the os drive and seeing the amount of gigs written to it is raising my blood pressure!

I have a few Symbolic Links here and they show up as listed in both locations.

If you need to see a list of Symbolic Links on the C Drive, go to the command prompt and do a "dir /AL /S c:\" (without quotes)

Here is an example of how a folder appears on my PC after issuing that command

Directory of c:\Users\Paul\Documents\My Pictures

Fri 03 Sep 2021  04:13 PM    <SYMLINKD>     Phone Camera MX [D:\Data files\Samsungdata\Stock Camera]
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

Note the 0 bytes occupied on the C drive.  The physical space is occupied on the D drive.

In my specific example, the physical location of this folder and contents is D:\Data files\Samsungdata\Stock Camera 

where as it shows on the C drive as  c:\Users\Paul\Documents\My Pictures\Phone Camera MX

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Promidi said:

I have a few Symbolic Links here and they show up as listed in both locations.

If you need to see a list of Symbolic Links on the C Drive, go to the command prompt and do a "dir /AL /S c:\" (without quotes)

Here is an example of how a folder appears on my PC after issuing that command

Directory of c:\Users\Paul\Documents\My Pictures

Fri 03 Sep 2021  04:13 PM    <SYMLINKD>     Phone Camera MX [D:\Data files\Samsungdata\Stock Camera]
               0 File(s)              0 bytes

Note the 0 bytes occupied on the C drive.  The physical space is occupied on the D drive.

In my specific example, the physical location of this folder and contents is D:\Data files\Samsungdata\Stock Camera 

where as it shows on the C drive as  c:\Users\Paul\Documents\My Pictures\Phone Camera MX

Thanks for trying to work this out with me. I get what you're saying, but in my case there is identical audio data files being written to both. I double checked this. It's not just a folder with a structure that's otherwise empty. Their identical down to the last edit.  I honestly don't know what could've changed for this to happen. 

Well I don't know how to close a thread or marked things solved, so maybe the mods can help me with that. Either way, I figured out what was happening. The duplicate folder thing is a non issue. Turns out that in windows 11 if you go to the cakewalk projects folder and click the link short cuts to your actual project drive, it keeps the letter c in the folder display.  In windows 10, this didn't happen to me. When I'd click through, it would show me the d drive.  Either way, it was the D drive, and there was no double saving of projects happening. The other thing that I discovered, which is why I went troubleshooting in the first place, is that the issue of not being able to save because the drive was "full" popped up because of audiosnap.  I had applied audiosnap to a section of audio, and that's when that problem of not being able to save popped up.  As soon as I disabled audiosnap on that specific clip, everything went back to normal.  Anyhow, just posting this in case anyone has the same issue happen to them, and maybe some bakers will become aware of the audiosnap issue.  Thanks to @Promidi for patiently trying to help yesterday.

• Lord Tim changed the title to Projects doubled up [solved]

Edit the title with [SOLVED].

Windows 11 is a step backward from 10 IMHO.  One of it's "never before seen issues" was giving me a double listing of my harddrives. No idea why but a reboot and possibly a Device Manger cleanup fixed it.

10 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Edit the title with [SOLVED].

Windows 11 is a step backward from 10 IMHO.  One of it's "never before seen issues" was giving me a double listing of my harddrives. No idea why but a reboot and possibly a Device Manger cleanup fixed it.

It's funny because I run a powerful but pretty old rig, and windows ten was hell on it. As soon as I upgraded to 11 my rig came back to life. Knock on wood, besides yesterday, I hadn't had to many problems in the year or so I've been running it.  I've liked it so much, I'm thinking of getting a newer desk workstation.