Curtin Richards Project

Michael Richards

Hello, I am a 30 year Cakewalk user and former professional performing musician. I have linked a Soundcloud page with some of the songs my partner and I have recorded. Recording and mixing is still a mystery to me, even though I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure it out. Almost all of the instruments are played by me, Hugh Curtin started half the songs and I have finished all of them. Artie Hoar and Hugh Curtin share vocal duties. We are all originally from Long Island. I cannot arrange songs on Soundcloud but wish I could put them in order of quality. We also have a Christmas album out on Youtube, Spotify, etc. I hope you enjoy them.

Michael Richards

• Like 2

Recording and mixing is still a mystery to me, even though I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure it out.

any and all questions ya have ask them here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great job on this song.jack c

Thank you, Jack. I will take you up on mixing.

1) Which program do you all use to determine your LUFS level?

2) I work hard on reducing the low-mid clutter that seem to multiply with each added instrument. I try to stop this by reducing the EQ of each instrument in the low-mid range. I have sat through several Bobby Owsinski videos and have 2 of his most recent mixing books. Still, I find that reducing the low-mids seem to reduce the impact on the kick and bass. I am walking a fine line between nice tight bass with clean mids and highs, and a muddy mix.

I can hear an improvement in my mixing from 3-5 years ago but feel like I have miles to go. I have tinnitus and hearing loss in both ears. Bobby Owsinski told me that all the older engineers he knows have similar issues but their brains and years of experience compensate. I don't have years of mixing experience. This is a hurdle I need to climb, so I will take all the help and direction I can get.

Thank you, Michael

PS Which song did you listen to?

On 8/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, Michael Richards said:

1) Which program do you all use to determine your LUFS level?

free in this order loudnax then you lean loudness meter only after your ready to master a song.

2) I work hard on reducing the low-mid clutter

are you tracking and listening to studio monitors?  i use eq on final mix on master buss.cymbals i use a high low filter to cut the highs.

PS Which song did you listen to?

last song ya posted.jack c

Really enjoyed your track posted here . . . powerful and uplifting, lots of excellent guitar work . . . what a nice warm guitar sound you captured, well played ! I'll definitely check out your SC channel if there's more of this . . . make sure to post some more here on the Cakewalk Forum, lots of great guitar players here will appreciate what you do.

You mention "Recording and mixing is still a mystery to me" . . . there is a science to it, but there is also a changing perception, that depends on how and where it's delivered. Best advice I ever heard here on the forum is to try not to mix at radically different volumes, so your ears get used to trusting what you are hearing from your equipment . . . and try to compare your exported mixes in as many different listening environments, at different times of the day as you can. Mix decisions are important, focus on what makes the song shine, back off the other things with volume or EQ. Also, a great YouTube video "magic is in the midrange" was super helpful for me, for fixing the middle of things. Best of Luck, looking forward to some more of your stuff !

14 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

Noynekker, thank you very much. I appreciate the feedback. I’m watching Magic Is In The Midrange, now. 

Can you tell me the name of the song you heard. I was under the impression that I posted my entire SoundCloud page. Maybe that’s a no-no here.

Michael . . . looks like it plays the first track listed (when you post it all) . . . so, my comments were re: Veil of Veronica