Inconsistent Default Record Source

norfolkmastering

Question

I'm having a problem that when I press the Record button on a track (which is currently selected to no source) then I am not getting the same default record source.  The first source in my Input Driver list is called 'DEFAULT REC'

On some tracks, when I press REC ARM, Cakewalk is selecting 'DEFAULT REC :S'

And on some other tracks, when I press REC ARM,  it is selecting 'DEFAULT REC:L'

Can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Thanks

11 answers to this question

My first thought would be that in one instance, the track is set for stereo interleave, and in another it is set for mono interleave. -I am also assuming the driver naming ":S" is when using the stereo interleave, and ":L" is when using the mono interleave. "S" being stereo, "L" being left mono.

• Like 1

What audio interface are you using? Default Record is a new one to me? It normally lists the input numbers. Are you using ASIO? 
You always have to select the input you are using. Cakewalk has no way to guess which input of your audio interface you are using.  That would be weird.  
If you use the “Add Track” then  Audio you have the option there to choose the input source. 

Edited by JohnnyV

To explain that when I'm doing song composition, I just hit the REC ARM button on the track I want to record to and it should connect to the default record source.  That's a standard Cakewalk feature.

I tried changing the track interleave but it makes no difference to the issue of inconsistent default source selection I explained in my earlier post.

So it's a bit of a mystery!

The default input in my world has always been it will choose the first stereo pair of your interface.  
Many newbies don’t realize this and end up recording everything in stereo. This is not what is desired for most audio tracks when using a mike or DI guitar.  I almost never use a stereo track. Only hardware synths.  
You still don’t mention what that interface is? 

Okay I found the mechanism which is triggering the change in default rec source.  Please give this a try on your own system and let me know if you get the same result.

The first audio input pair on my list (and so the default rec source) has the friendly name 'DEFAULT : S'

For the track under test;

Put the track's PAN control fully LEFT.

Make sure that no source is selected to that track.

Select that track's REC ARM button and the default source is selected as "DEFAULT : L"

Deselect the source (back to "None") and the REC ARM button will be deselected.

Now turn that track's PAN control to ANY position apart from fully LEFT.

Select that track's REC ARM button and the default source is selected as "DEFAULT : S"

This was 100% repeatable on any track off any project.

I've reported this odd behaviour to the Bandlab guys.

Confirmed here.  Intended or not, I never noticed this before because I always select the input source BEFORE arming the track, which seems to override the aforementioned behavior.  I'm not a fan of "automatic selection" from any source.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, sjoens said:

Confirmed here.  Intended or not, I never noticed this before because I always select the input source BEFORE arming the track, which seems to override the aforementioned behavior.  I'm not a fan of "automatic selection" from any source.

^^ Especially with a dynamic setup or multiple inputs available. Windows can play havoc on this as well with RealTek chips (or multiple devices available). Over the years I have gotten into the habit of explicitly making that RealTek chip default so that when an audio interface becomes active that Windows will leave it alone (Windows will lock bit rate and assign it to the first application that uses sound if allowed to "automatically" prioritize devices as well).

A quick check on DAW preferences before starting sessions is definitely a good habit to get into.

That was what I was trying to say. The default is always going to be wrong!  It takes 2 seconds to select the correct input for a track. I do this when inserting a new track . I often insert 3 new tracks at once.  
Selecting the input  source and the output buss is part of the Add Track dialogue. As well as how many tracks you want. 

The pan controller has zero to do with recording. None of the track controllers have any bearing on recording.  

• Like 1