Perfect space revisited

Still playing with perfect space in an AUX bus. The bus fader is up all the way, and if I keep the perfect space output control fully wet it's just way too much, even when the send is minimal. Does it matter whether I back off the wet dry mix or in the bus fader? Also I'm aware that it's 32-bit, at some point is this likely to stop my projects from opening? I have one project doing that for some reason and it's a headache, I have to disable all the FX and start again. Thanks!

Is this the continuation of another thread you started or contributed to? If so, you might consider posting a link to it here so there's a context for this post which seems like it is an update of a previous post.

UPDATE:  Maybe this new thread is intended as an update to this?

Edited by User 905133

Several things seem a bit unclear in your post, so it's hard to answer exactly. But as far as the wet/dry issue, it really sounds like you may need to revisit the routings you have set up, as it sounds like more of a misunderstanding in use of sends & levels. If the plugin is set to full wet output, then you should have no problem adjusting the relative mix, normally.

In my experiences over the years with PerfectSpace - I found that it was great in the 32-bit era, but I had to pull it off my system for modern usage, because when it got used in conjunction with BitBridge & the like in a 64-bit SONAR setup, it became way too unreliable and a resource hog. -It didn't necessarily stop my projects from opening per se - however, when opening & closing several projects that used it in a session, invariably things would get buggy, lots of transport errors, and several times I had to completely log out of Windows, or forcibly quit the BitBridge server process that would often hang even without SONAR running. And it did sometimes crash a project on opening, but a full reboot would "fix" that, and the project was not harmed. -Not worth the hassle though! -That's my experience anyway.

Thanks for the advice! To rephrase my question there are two places where I can make the reverb fully wet, the plug-in output itself and also on the aux bus fader. The aux send knob doesn't seem to be sensitive enough to my ears and the slightest increase in send gives me too much reverb with the other two settings fully wet. I didn't know if it makes a difference in gain staging which one I pull down for a better response. 

17 hours ago, charles kasler said:

at some point is this likely to stop my projects from opening?

Yes. At this point, Cakewalk's support for 32-bit plug-ins is hanging by a thread. I consider it to only be there to allow people some time to replace their FX with current technology.

Considering that you were having trouble with it 6 months ago, and apparently still are, is this obsolete reverb plug-in really worth it the hassle?

Thanks! I've been hanging on to it because I love the IRs but I realize I can use them in another reverb. I'm looking at a couple others now. If I just uninstall perfect space is that enough so that it won't prevent my old projects from opening? It would be very time consuming to have to remove it from each individual project.

Don't sweat it. Keep using PerfectSpace until it stops working - which may be never. Fretting about ongoing "support" for 32-bit plugins is silly. If it works today it'll work tomorrow. Think about it: PerfectSpace isn't going to change, Bitbridge isn't going to change, and Windows doesn't enter into the equation. 

To answer the initial question...just adjust the overall reverb level at the bus, using either the Gain or Volume sliders, or automation.

6 hours ago, charles kasler said:

Thanks! I've been hanging on to it because I love the IRs but I realize I can use them in another reverb. I'm looking at a couple others now. If I just uninstall perfect space is that enough so that it won't prevent my old projects from opening? It would be very time consuming to have to remove it from each individual project.

The process for me has been: A: If I was happy with the mix, I would do the recommendation that @57Gregy laid out (often I would record just the full wet reverb output in a separate track), and B: After removing the plugin from Cakewalk, then yes, update any projects that had used it. -At least those projects would open reliably, and my system was more stable overall, so it was worth the effort. -For me anyway.  And don't get me wrong, it was tough, I had a lot of old projects with PerfectSpace in them.

A few other things to note: I also turned to mapping and using some of the same IRs in other convo reverbs, but I noticed a few things right away. First, PerfectSpace by default used an auto-leveling algorithm for the IRs on loading, and for me it really smoothed out testing various choices side-by-side. When using other reverbs, that didn't happen, and very often my original IRs seemed to take a lot of "fixing up" to find the sound I had been used to with them. -Also, PerfectSpace had an internal latency setting that had to be adjusted to match the sound interface settings, and when that didn't work, some very bad timing & CPU usage would ensue.  -That function alone was maddening enough to warrant removal, again, -for me.   So, it has been tough, there is no easy fix, but I also feel moving to a more modern plugin is worth the work, in the long run especially. -Or, yes, you can just cross your fingers and hope it keeps on working, reboot every time things get buggy... it's your choice!!  Keep backups, and maybe an old 32-bit system? I know some folks do it that way, and if it works...

• Like 1