Melodyne, Cakewalk and new 32 bit gear...

RexRed

thing is - strawberry fields wasn't about pitch correction on a single part, but rather some clever matching to get the two takes - done in different keys and tempos - close enough to become one. but for as long as tape has been around, people have been using variable speed (when available) to adjust performances - like a singer needing a slightly lower key to sing to, and then sped back up etc. it was actually fairly common in pop to speed up material after it was mixed to increase the tempo and key - more excitement and of course fitting into the 2:30 time slot for songs in order to get air play...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RexRed said:

Did you build your guitar from scratch or did you buy one made from someone else?

Did you make every sample in your song of did you buy some from others

Did you build your micro chip in your computer yourself?

You can't claim purist whenever it suits you while ignoring the elephant in the room.

Reductio ad Absurdum

13 minutes ago, RexRed said:

By the 1940s, studio engineers could produce primitive pitch correction by tweaking a reel-to-reel magnetic tape recorders varispeed. This process became more popular in recording studios during the 1950s and 1960s. By slowing down or speeding up a part of a recording and splicing with the tape containing the majority of the song, engineers could alter pitch. Another method of varispeed pitch correction was to slow a tape machine down, re-record a new part at a lower pitch, and then bring the recording back up to its original speed.

One of the most famous examples of varispeed pitch correction is the recording of The Beatles 1967 single “Strawberry Fields Forever.” The song as we know it is not one single take, but two takes (7 and 26) spliced together by producer George Martin and his innovative engineer Geoff Emerick. The Beatles had recorded these two takes at slightly different tempos and pitches. By speeding up the slower of the two tracks, Emerick was able to match the tempo and pitch.

Totally bogus examples because altering pitch and tempo through varying tape speed doesn't concern fixing substandard performances.

Critical thinking is a valuable skill.

• Meh 1

22 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Reductio ad Absurdum

Totally bogus examples because altering pitch and tempo through varying tape speed doesn't concern fixing substandard performances.

Critical thinking is a valuable skill.

If that was the case they would have used only one take...

Yes, critical thinking and rudimentary deduction is required. 

Do you even have any experience recording with a reel-to-reel?

I recorded about 200 songs on 8 track reel-to-reel in my younger days. 

"Reductio ad Absurdum" aptly describes your criticism with pitch correction. 

Edited by RexRed
  • Meh 1

20 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

thing is - strawberry fields wasn't about pitch correction on a single part, but rather some clever matching to get the two takes - done in different keys and tempos - close enough to become one. but for as long as tape has been around, people have been using variable speed (when available) to adjust performances - like a singer needing a slightly lower key to sing to, and then sped back up etc. it was actually fairly common in pop to speed up material after it was mixed to increase the tempo and key - more excitement and of course fitting into the 2:30 time slot for songs in order to get air play...

I think they called that "more excitement" back in the day, "hype". :)

7 minutes ago, RexRed said:

Do you even have any experience recording with a reel-to-reel?

Irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, RexRed said:

I recorded about 200 songs on 8 track reel-to-reel in my younger days. 

That's certainly enough time to get practiced up....

I'll put money on there being nothing at all wrong with your singing voice and you're just overly critical and have unrealistic expectations of an inhuman level of perfection.

• Meh 1

7 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Irrelevant.

That's certainly enough time to get practiced up....

I'll put money on there being nothing at all wrong with your singing voice and you're just overly critical and have unrealistic expectations of an inhuman level of perfection.

Experience is certainly relevant.

I just like the idea that if I need pitch correction on a certain syllable that it actually works and does not produce a wonky tone and not work.

Having tools that work only part of the time is not the best way to accomplish things.

When those tools actually degrade your work then it is worth trying to improve the quality of those tools. 

Edited by RexRed
  • Meh 1