Cakewalk Sonar X3 Studio

Hello.

New here.  I bought Sonar X3 studio years ago but I am finally going to start using it. I have never used it.  I know I am way behind the times but I have been using Cubase LE 6 which was free for so long on a lot of small projects.  Sonar x3 can handle a lot more and I want to start getting use to it and using what I have with this program.  So I am just checking in and if anyone out there has experience with it then we can shoot the shizzle and give pointers and what not.  Thanks to all who chime in and help I greatly appreciate it.  I have a version on my windows 10 laptop and i also have a version on my windows 7 desktop.  

Thanks

So you’ve got SONAR X3 Studio installed? That’s a great start. As for me, I upgraded to X3 Professional back in 2014 and went on to SONAR Platinum a year later. In 2018 I started using the free Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB). And, of course, that’s what you should do as well.

Why? Because a lot has happened in the last ten years. CbB is essentially an enhanced version of the latest Cakewalk SONAR Platinum (which succeeded SONAR X3), but without some of its plugins. However, as you’ve already got SONAR X3 Studio installed, all plugins that came with it will be detected and fully functioning in CbB. So please don’t uninstall X3 as that would uninstall those plugins as well. Simply install CbB alongside X3.

But still, why? Because a large number of bug fixes have been made since BandLab took control of the software. Also, a lot of new functions have been added. The posts in this forum deals mainly with CbB. The posts asking questions about SONAR Platinum, X3, X2, X1, or even 8.x and earlier, don’t get much attention. The fact is that hardly anyone have those old versions installed anymore, if they ever had.

You’ll find a link to the CbB downloader in the post below. It’s the link at the top that says “full Cakewalk 2022.11 installer.”  

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Edited by Canopus
Canopus' Law: The last spelling error is never detected until you have pressed the Submit buttton.
  • Like 2

Yes no point in actually using X3 but still install it and all the extra plug ins first. Then install the latest version of Cakewalk which is exactly the same as X3 but has all the bug fixes and some new features that are definitely worth having.
 Think of Cakewalk by Bandlab as being Sonar X8.  

It’s still available free just go to the top of the forum here and look for the links. 
I have a series of Tutorials that will bring you up to speed a lot faster than guess work and head scratching. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

It’s still available free just go to the top of the forum here and look for the links. 

Actually, the link in the forum menu targets an old version of CbB, and has been for some time. Clicking on the menu link will redirect you to a page with a Cakewalk Installer button which targets the link https://downloads.bandlab.com/cakewalk/setup/CakewalkSetup.exe?d=20220627. Not a good idea, as that seems to be the old June release and not the latest November release. Instead, use the link I mentioned in my previous post.

@Morten Saether Maybe the Cakewalk Installer link on the page  https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk#download should be updated?

• Like 1

Cool man. .  I wasnt sure anyone was going to respond since the software was so old lol. This is awesome you guys are great..

Yes x3 is installed.   Sounds like I should go download CbB and run with that.    

I specifically purchased x3 so I could utilize the COMPING track feature so does the CbB have that feature as well?  

Thanks

2 hours ago, Razoryhoney said:

I cant seem to get it to download. It will keep saying I dont have permission

Please give us the context. Where does it occur, what exactly does the error message say, and, if possible, post a (readable) image. As for images, this forum has a pretty low upper limit for how much data you're allowed to upload, so it's better to use some third-party image storage provider. Personally I always upload any such images to https://imgur.com and then paste the image link into my post.

• Like 2

As I said just go to the top of this web page and click on "Download" 

958493195_Screenshot(571).png.887eb784524afb6da4057aa55e04c58b.png

You will see this page where you once again click on Download.

408306064_Screenshot(572).png.3f5a401d06f5e4150d3ba53181e8ecf3.png

That takes you to this page where you once again click on Cakewalk Installer. It will download to your Downloads folder in Windows.

1209560738_Screenshot(574).png.64391391a158f98e9feb92702e688d27.png

I just tried it and its all working perfectly for me. 

Are you using Windows 10 ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

As I said just go to the top of this web page and click on "Download" 

958493195_Screenshot(571).png.887eb784524afb6da4057aa55e04c58b.png

You will see this page where you once again click on Download.

408306064_Screenshot(572).png.3f5a401d06f5e4150d3ba53181e8ecf3.png

That takes you to this page where you once again click on Cakewalk Installer. It will download to your Downloads folder in Windows.

1209560738_Screenshot(574).png.64391391a158f98e9feb92702e688d27.png

yes i am using windows 10.   i will try your method when I wake up. Ive been up all night trying to update laptop and then download CbB so I havent been to sleep yet and havent gotten anything accomplished..... Thank you for your suggestion

i just noticed that windows 8 and higher is needed.  my laptop is windows 10 but my desktop is windows 7.   for my windows 7 desktop should i just keep sonar x3 and use that for small minimal projects on that computer then?? please let me know your opinion...     I wont be doing anything super modern or robot sounding.  Just taking tracks from my Tascam 2488 or Zoom r8 and sending them into sonar x3 for mixing and editing.    volume mixing, panning, compression, saturation, eq, limiting... basic stuff like that.   sometimes add a few extra guitars and using the guitar plugins.   i think sonar x3 can handle that fine for my windows 7 desktop???  let me know what u guys think.  For my Windows 10 Laptop i am putting CbB on for sure.  Thanks

Edited by Razoryhoney

35 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

i just followed these instructions and it worked for me - which browser are you using? (maybe makes a diff)

• Like 1