How to grey out Midi tracks when soloing other tracks

tom_jg

Question

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, tom_jg said:

I realized that in every project all tracks beside midi tracks become greyed out when I solo one or more tracks. Is there a way to also get the midi tracks to get greyed out?

mmm, I don't get the greyed out audio tracks when soloing. Neither the midi tracks...

Not sure what intended behavior is, but it seems like when Soloing a track the remaining tracks should look darker or diminished. For some reason MIDI tracks aren't responding to this action.

Checked Sonar Platinum and all but one MIDI track dimmed when another track was soloed, so something changed.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:38 PM, tom_jg said:

I realized that in every project all tracks beside midi tracks become greyed out when I solo one or more tracks. Is there a way to also get the midi tracks to get greyed out?

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

. . . it seems like when Soloing a track the remaining tracks should look darker or diminished. For some reason MIDI tracks aren't responding to this action. . . .

Interesting. I never noticed this because I use mostly Instrument Tracks (usually combined) with  some occasional MIDI Tracks either pointed to a synth in a combined Instrument Track or sometimes a split Instrument/synth only track.  But I just tried.

I get what seem to be inconsistent darkening or lightening depending on which track is soloed and what track the midi track is pointed to. I only did a very quick test because I never noticed this before, but something is going on when an Instrument track is soloed and an additional midi track is unsoloed. The unsoloed midi track does lighten up while the Instrument Track stays dark.

Since it has been announced that there will be only one more update to CbB, I worry that if this is changed, what happens if there are regression errors.   

BTW, normally I also often use Instrument Tracks and additional MIDI Tracks in the same folder. That might be part of why I never noticed the darkening/lightening before.

But, its really wild if you have a folder with an Instrument track and several midi tracks inside pointed to different synths and one synth is in a track outside the folder!  Soloing the track folder soloes all of the relevant instrument tracks, but unsoloing the track folder does not unsolo the Instrument Track outside the folder!

Hmmm. Trying to resolve all this for the last CbB update worries me that some new issues will be added in trying to resolve this.  😞

Why do they need to? The associated audio tracks that output the audio that the midi tracks are triggering are being greyed out, aren't they?

Because that's how previous Sonar apps worked.

Sonar X3 behaves as expected with new and old projects. But if I open an older project in CbB, it also behaves as expected. So creating projects in CbB must be affecting the Solo routine somehow??

In any case, CbB will probably be deprecated with a host of unresolved bugs - just like any program would where there isn't enough time to address them all. Incentive to upgrade. 

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Because that's how previous Sonar apps worked.

Sonar X3 behaves as expected with new and old projects. But if I open an older project in CbB, it also behaves as expected. So creating projects in CbB must be affecting the Solo routine somehow??

In any case, CbB will probably be deprecated with a host of unresolved bugs - just like any program would where there isn't enough time to address them all. Incentive to upgrade. 

Maybe that's a Sonar bug that's been corrected in CbB and it's working properly now. Soloing affects audio, midi is not audio, it's data so as far as I'm concerned, it works correctly in CbB...
Just my opinion but what do I know???

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:23 PM, User 905133 said:

Hmmm. I will have to hook up an external sound module to see if soloing midi tracks works with CbB.  

Results: [ S ] and [ M ] buttons on both track and console work as expected.

• Simple Test # 1:
    • Set up Proteus 2500 sound module [always in multitimbral mode (up to 32 midi channels)].
    • Record super simple 8 bar patterns (C01A = drums, C02A = bass, C03A = piano chords) one at a time.
    • Tested Solo and Mute buttons.
  • ADDENDUM: Since I never paid much attention to greyed out tracks before, I looked at this.
    • There are different levels of grey.  Selected track grey is different than soloed and muted greys.
    • With all, some, and no tracks selected, [ M ] and [ S ] lightened relevant tracks appropriately.
      • tested on both track and console.

Note: Simple Test # 1 only has 3 midi tracks; each is forced to a specific midi channel through the [ C ] widget.

Edited by User 905133
added more details; added details for the test