Playback stuck at beginning of timeline, won't budge, I'm gonna cry

Lucie

Hi!

I'm having an issue since this morning. When I press play, the cursor stays stuck very rapidly going back and forth between 00:00:00:00 and 00:00:00:01. Every now and then, it will randomly decide to go through and play correctly (I can hear my audio perfectly fine when it does, so it's not an audio output issue), but then it gets stuck at the start again and I can't scrub through my timeline. When I try and put the cursor anywhere, it snaps back to the start.

I did not have this issue before, and I didn't change anything since yesterday. I tried restarting  Cakewalk a few times, opening new projects, but nothing works. I've also tried changing from  WASAPI to MME and ASIO, same issue. 

I'm still a newbie and don't know much about hardware so please explain everything like you would to a very stupid 10 year old who somehow got access to all of this. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

No, you're right - it doesn't look like you have any loop points set. Hmm.. this is a weird one, it all looks good so far.

If you go to Options > Stop and Project End and make sure there's no checkmark on that, will it continue to play?

I'm happy to have a look at the project itself if you PM me a link, to see if there's something weird going on, but it doesn't sound project specific to me - this sounds like something set up wrong on Cakewalk (like the loop points, but... yeah, clearly not)

Sadly that didn't change anything either...

I'll PM you a link to the project, but it's empty (I created this one purely for testing out this issue, this is happening with all of my other projects as well).  If you can find anything in there that'd be awesome, but it does look more like a set up or hardware issue to me too (which, once again, doesn't make sense since everything worked just fine last time I used it yesterday).

• Like 1

OK, this video says a lot. It's definitely not loop points or anything like that.

This sounds like your driver is getting hijacked by something else on your system. Did you notice the audio dropped out when it was playing too?

Are you using WASAPI Shared or Exclusive?

Try either one. 

Also try putting a tick in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording > Suspend Audio Engine when Cakewalk is Not in Focus

The other thing I'd suggest is rebooting and trying Cakewalk as the first thing you do when it starts. There's a good chance Chrome or some other streaming software is trying to take control.

Other than that... summoning the forum's Smarter Person Than Me, please! I'm happy to be taken to school by someone who can figure this out. :) 

When the track plays correctly, the audio is fine. I did get the "audio device dropout error" (or something similar?) once, but every over time I get no warning from Cakewalk that something's wrong.

I'm using WASAPI Shared.  Just tried switching to Exclusive - same issue.

Ticked "Suspend Audio Engine when Cakewalk is Not in Focus" - same issue.

I'll try rebooting my machine and opening Cakewalk first, and report back on what happens.

Thanks a lot for your time, I really appreciate you trying to figure this mess out! 🤠

For anyone playing along at home, I got a test project from Lucie and it worked absolutely fine on my system, so it's not project specific at all. 

Audio interface is an onboard Realtek chip, which usually does work great with WASAPI drivers, so something is definitely weird here!

...... aaaaaand it worked!!

Restarting my laptop and opening Cakewalk before anything else seems to have done the trick. Tried opening Youtube and Spotify after that and it still works. So you were right, something must have been hijacking my audio.

Turns out you were the Smart Person Of The Forum 😁

Thanks again for your help Tim, and I hope you have a great day! 

• Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 7:26 AM, Lucie said:

Hi!

I'm having an issue since this morning. When I press play, the cursor stays stuck very rapidly going back and forth between 00:00:00:00 and 00:00:00:01. Every now and then, it will randomly decide to go through and play correctly (I can hear my audio perfectly fine when it does, so it's not an audio output issue), but then it gets stuck at the start again and I can't scrub through my timeline. When I try and put the cursor anywhere, it snaps back to the start.

I did not have this issue before, and I didn't change anything since yesterday. I tried restarting  Cakewalk a few times, opening new projects, but nothing works. I've also tried changing from  WASAPI to MME and ASIO, same issue. 

I'm still a newbie and don't know much about hardware so please explain everything like you would to a very stupid 10 year old who somehow got access to all of this. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Try this: add an audio track. Drag in some audio. Any mp3 with some run time will do. Mute the audio track. See if your simple instrument track will play. I’ve had this issue before and it seemed CW wasn’t reading anything after an initial little blip of Midi if there was no audio.  It would blip then simply stop. The added audio track gives CW something to process and should run however long the audio is and your MIDI should play.  YMMV. 

In this case it turned out to be a hijacked audio driver, which is always a risk you're going to take by using onboard audio. Even if it does work, you only need to see Lucie's other thread  to see that even getting stuff to play isn't always the be all / end all of things when there's other apps running.

This is exactly the reason so many of us always recommend even a cheaper ASIO interface with good drivers, it sidesteps quite a lot of these issues entirely.