Video Clip start time locked

gvjfisher

Question

Hi All!

Been using Cakewalk/SONAR for 20+yrs. Love that it's been continually updated.

Amongst other projects, I mostly use it to score music for TV.  I'm having a problem with the video track. As per the instructions (and the way I've always used it) I am unable to slide the video clip along the video/thumbnail track to change the start time. When I open the video clip properties (as well as in the Track Control portion of the Track Window) the start time is ghosted and won't let me change it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thx in advance!

Greg Fisher

10 answers to this question

Yeah, to repeat, if the default is set to Directshow and

4 hours ago, scook said:

If the video format is not supported by DirectShow, the DAW falls back to the Media Foundation engine.

Here is a tip from the link I posted above regarding how to tell which video engine is running

Tip: To confirm which video engine is currently used, right-click the Video view or video thumbnail and select Video Properties on the pop-up menu, then click the Info tab.

12 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

If I have to compose a lead-in audio, I put the video in my vid edit sled and add some digital black to the head first. Then apply a TC offset in CW.

Yes, that is my method too. I though Scook instructions would spare me this step, but I work with H264 cpdecs, so...

UPS!

now I need some help here!

I modified the AUD.INI file according to instructions, and then I did reset Config to defaults (I think it was a mistake..!)

I had to reconfigure the audio settings and now CW does not recognize my Behringer UMC404HD card, which was working just fine.

I unistalled/reinstalled various Behringer driver versions, including the latest (5.57.0) to no avail. Each time I select ASIO, it seems that the driver is recognized as a generic asio driver, and ask me to switch to WASAPI mode.

I reinstalled CW (regular install).

Something is wrong. Before this, ASIO was working just fine.

I'd appreciate suggestions! My system is broken!

Screenshot_1.png

Edited by Andres Medina

On 5/29/2023 at 4:35 PM, scook said:

Access to video start time requires the old DirectShow video engine. 

Here is how to set the default video engine.

If the video format is not supported by DirectShow, the DAW falls back to the Media Foundation engine.

Acckk!!! Just saw the reply to this from a couple days ago. This is awesome!

In fact - I remember having the same problem YEARS ago - the answer you provided totally jogged my memory that it was the same solution then! Guess I should've imported my Audi.ini file over from my backups and I wouldn't have had this problem at all. Thanks for your super-speedy reply!!!!

Much appreciated!

Greg

32 minutes ago, gvjfisher said:

I should've imported my Audi.ini file over from my backups

For years, the recommendation is NOT to blindly import old settings.

Better to use modern default settings and modify the new defaults as needed.