Latency when armed

miku

Question

Hello! Today i decided to make a template with all tracks i would need for a song, instead of starting with an empty project. I am done with it, however there is a problem. When i arm a track so i can record on it, i get about 500ms latency. The only way to remove it is by archiving and unarchiving the track, but then when i arm it - again latency. I'm on Windows 10, my computer has never done this before and it doesn't happen on other projects. Using Asio4all. Where is the problem?

8 answers to this question

9 hours ago, miku said:

Hello! Today i decided to make a template with all tracks i would need for a song, instead of starting with an empty project. I am done with it, however there is a problem. When i arm a track so i can record on it, i get about 500ms latency. The only way to remove it is by archiving and unarchiving the track, but then when i arm it - again latency. I'm on Windows 10, my computer has never done this before and it doesn't happen on other projects. Using Asio4all. Where is the problem?

You gonna get roasted for this because you are using "Asio4All." Asio4All is very bad on this forum, its the devil👹himself. Get an interface is what will be thrown at you . . . but hey, I wash my hands. I was never here. 🚶🏻‍♂️🏃🏻

Edited by Will.

55 minutes ago, Will. said:

You're gonna get roasted for this because you are using "Asio4All." Asio4All is very bad on this forum, its the devil👹himself. Get an interface is what will be thrown to at you . . . but hey, I wash my hands. I was never here  🚶🏻‍♂️🏃🏻

Yea.. i knew that was the problem but still tried asking, cuz it may be the application 

For anyone wondering why ASIO4ALL is a really bad idea, despite some people suggesting to use it: 

1: It's suggested even by the Cakewalk Devs themselves to not use it because it can interfere with correct drivers, and Cakewalk even shows you a warning that this could be a problem if you intend to use it anyway

2: It was invented to fill a gap where if you had an interface that didn't have manufacturer supplied ASIO drivers and your DAW needed ASIO to achieve low latency performance, and it did this by wrapping a native Windows WDM driver to look like an ASIO driver. There's absolutely no performance gain over WDM at all, and in Cakewalk's case, it's entirely unnecessary because it can use WDM directly rather than going through a wrapper, unlike some other DAWs. These days, it's best to use WASAPI Shared or WASAPI Exclusive instead of any pretend ASIO "drivers" like ASIO4ALL.

To answer the actual question, if you're typically not getting high latency otherwise, there's likely some effect on the track or in the chain that's introducing latency.  Typically, it'll be something like a Linear Phase EQ, limiter with a look-ahead option or some kind of convolution reverb.

Have a look through your project and see which effects are running in there, especially looking for one of the above types. There's nothing wrong with using those effects, of course, but they're not for tracking - use them only for mixdown.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

To answer the actual question, if you're typically not getting high latency otherwise, there's likely some effect on the track or in the chain that's introducing latency.  Typically, it'll be something like a Linear Phase EQ, limiter with a look-ahead option or some kind of convolution reverb.

Have a look through your project and see which effects are running in there, especially looking for one of the above types. There's nothing wrong with using those effects, of course, but they're not for tracking - use them only for mixdown.

The fastest way to determine if plug-in delay compensation is adding the to latency problem is toggle the FX button in the Mix module. If the latency is significantly reduced, one or more plug-ins somewhere in the project are at least part of the problem. If it turns out the plug-ins are on the track being recorded the PDC button may help otherwise consider bypassing or temporarily replacing the high PDC plug-ins.

• Great Idea 1