MIDI and audio mixing at the same time not possible

• 2 weeks later...

If I get this right:

- you have a simple instrument track, where there is not separate midi track for it

- you render it so you get audio, if freeze or external instrument is a bit unclear

- then monitor keyboard through same track stop working, which is normal, I think

If wanting to play along with already rendered, create a separate midi track and point to same instrument or another instance of same instrument plugin.

I tend to always create separate midi tracks, so have not encountered this. When you monitor it's always midi.

Of course it can be done thousands of users create projects with midi and audio. Actually trying to use hardware as a midi sound source is more complicated than using VST instruments.  Insert a soft synth and point the midi track at that.  
To explain the details of how Cakewalk works is a huge detailed process.
As well as the videos Try the PDF document found at the top of the page here. Everything you need to know is clearly explained 

Edited by JohnnyV

It not only takes a lot of time to learn how to use any DAW. It also takes time to learn the language we use to describe things.  

My advice is to open the Help Module shortcut is Y. 
Now when you point the cursor at something it will tell you want it is and then you can use the documentation to read up on that feature. Sometimes there’s a “Learn More” tab in the help module to take you directly to the correct page.  I prefer the PDF version. 

You won’t learn how to do anything much in any DAW by diving in blind. They are not intuitive at all. You either read the documents or watch tutorials.

Still worth watching are the official ones you will find pinned to the top of the Tutorials sub forum here. They are very outdated but the Sonar/ Cakewalk interface hasn’t changed much so they are still OK . 

Edited by JohnnyV

On 5/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, Daniël Bethlem said:

Hi, I added an audio track to a midi file. Now only the audio is playing, my keyboard is quiet.

If a start the same file without the audio track the keyboard plays normally.

Latest Cakewalk and Yamaha PSR SX900.

I agree that the original post doesn't have enough information for others to be helpful.

I will assume you have the keyboard's MIDI and audio connected to your PC correctly and that your preferences, settings, and routing are all correct.

• I also assume that by " . . . added an audio track to a midi file" you:
    • inserted a midi track into a project,
    • recorded midi data from your keyboard onto the midi track,
    • then created an audio track to record,  render, or bounce the audio playback of the midi track from the keyboard,
    • and then selected the audio track and played the audio you recorded.
  1. Is the midi track still routed to the keyboard?
  2. Is the midi track midi echo button on?
Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

On 5/27/2023 at 12:27 PM, Daniël Bethlem said:

Hi, I added an audio track to a midi file. Now only the audio is playing, my keyboard is quiet.

Wild guess: If you're depending on Always Echo Current MIDI Track in preferences to echo live MIDI input on the focused track and the focus is on the audio track, the live MIDI track will be silent. If that's the issue, you can either move the focus to the MID/Instrument track by clicking on the track name, or manually enable the Input Echo button on the MIDI/Instrument track so it doesn't matter which track has focus.

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Playback.35.html#1067525