Unwanted Volume Reduction

Help!

Still very new to Cakewalk but have used it with some success in the past, but now on a new computer, as I record clips with my guitar, the volume starts where I want it but then reduces itself.  I've attached a screen grab of whats going on.  This is constant strumming.  Why is it changing?

Capturefdssfsd.PNG

Well, that's a stumper. Assuming there are no plugins or automation on the track, that's gotta be caused by something external to the DAW. 

Might be helpful if you listed your entire signal chain, such as type of audio interface and anything that's in front of the interface. Is this an acoustic guitar with a microphone going straight into the interface, an electric guitar through an amp amp sim, and are there any pedals in the chain? How long is this clip? The envelope looks like a compressor kicking in. But if the picture represents, say, 10 seconds of audio or more then that's not it.

Sorry, should have shared more info:

Brand new Jackson Warrior into a old DOD FX86 into a brand new 100w Katana then line out on back to a Tascam US-2x2HR into a Dell Laptop.

It does this every time I try to record a clip....about 8 measures into it no matter what track I use.  I've added a bigger screen grab of what it seems to do every time.  Again, constant strumming in time.

The irritating thing is I never had this issue with the exact same set-up going into a different PC....so I guess thats the wild card.  Could it be a bad install?

Capturefddfdfdf.PNG

Edited by Farsotstider

17 minutes ago, Farsotstider said:

Sorry, should have shared more info:

Brand new Jackson Warrior into a old DOD FX86 into a brand new 100w Katana then line out on back to a Tascam US-2x2HR into a Dell Laptop.

It does this every time I try to record a clip....about 8 measures into it no matter what track I use.  I've added a bigger screen grab of what it seems to do every time.  Again, constant strumming in time.

The irritating thing is I never had this issue with the exact same set-up going into a different PC....so I guess thats the wild card.  Could it be a bad install?

Capturefddfdfdf.PNG

You have Automation Write enabled. 

I'm not sure why he said that as you actually don't have automation enabled as far as I can see, You have the tracks record on. If there was automation you would have had to take steps to draw it and it would show as a green line. 

Make sure you have installed Tascam's ASIO driver and use ASIO mode.  I am only seeing the word "microphone" in the input box,, that is not what one would expect when using a proper interface. That is implying you are not using ASIO.

If that doesn't solve the issue then  troubleshooting 101 will. 

We need to determine at what point the audio is being lowered. 

At the guitar, The cable, At the stomp box, the next cable, At the Amp, next cable,  At the interface , the USB connection, or in Cakewalk.  A process of elimination is how you do this. 

Removing or swapping out devices until the issue goes away.  Example what happens when you plug the guitar directly into the interface?  If nothing happens, then you know the issue is the stomp box or amp. 

Working backwards. Make sure your direct monitoring is turned on, Does the volume stay the same in your headphones plugged into the interface? If you hear the volume drop  then this  rules out anything  from the USB cable into Cakewalk.  The issue is the hardware upstream. 

Let us know how you make out.  I'd be real surprised if it was Cakewalk.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Thanks John!

I'm leaning towards the issue originating from the Tascam for a few reasons:

I fully realize that my "vintage" FX86 (saw someone selling one on Ebay and the called it that) may seem like the low hanging fruit but I tried removing the pedal and it still drops out.  Then I plugged the guitar directly into the Tascam and it still drops.  AND I just noticed, when you pointed out that it was calling it a mic (which I 'm not sure if it did on the other computer or not, can't check now as it got bricked), but when I click on the input, it comes up as US-2x2HR (1 in, 1 out) which is not correct and I know for a fact on the old computer is showed 2in, 2 out like it should.  This is verified by the fact that input 2 on the Tascam does not work at the moment.  I downloaded the driver, but the real kick in the junk is that this computer is my work one and IT has it locked down for changes............crap.  I'll just have to wait till Tuesday to see if the driver works.

I appreciate everyone's help.

dffhfshfgffgfgfg.PNG

On 5/27/2023 at 10:07 PM, Starship Krupa said:

If you're using a Stratocaster, make sure your hand isn't hitting that damn volume control!

Is it possible too that the stratocaster player plays some clips more softly.

• Haha 1

That is weird that Microphone is not an option in the input drop down yet it seems to be what is selected?   Your dropdown actually looks like it could be using ASIO? 

The Microphone will only be available when using a Computers sound card as your input. Possibly you are using a None ASIO driver that shows the the Tascam correctly. I will almost guarantee the issue will go away if you install and use the ASIO driver. Tascam makes good interfaces and drivers. 

Are you powering the interface via USB rather than using a separate power supply?

I looked it up on Sweetwater and saw that it's marketed as a bus-powered unit for portability and doesn't come with an external power supply.  That's a potential problem if for some reason your laptop's USB port can't deliver enough current.

4 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Are you powering the interface via USB rather than using a separate power supply?

I looked it up on Sweetwater and saw that it's marketed as a bus-powered unit for portability and doesn't come with an external power supply.  That's a potential problem if for some reason your laptop's USB port can't deliver enough current.

This is very true. My Motu M4 is 100% bus powered with no option for a wall wart.  I will never buy any interface like this again.  I had a terrible time with it until finally had to install a PCI USB 3.1 card to power it with. But I continue to have weird issues. They are assuming people have a USB C port like Mac's do.  See the port on the back of the Tascam, USB C. 

The OP's Tascam does have an optional power supply which I would highly recommend purchasing even if it's not the causing this issue.  It would seem they are not using ASIO. But the bus power seems a more likely cause as the interface might be starved for juice. 

USB bus powered
AC Adapter (TASCAM PS-P520E, sold separately)

us-2x2hr_p_rear.thumb.jpg.43f031b88d639b1d31d28bfcdc7aae65.jpg

Alright!  Just to close the loop, here is what the issue was:

Simply plugging the Tascam into the computer did not give it the most current driver so I went to Tascam's site and got it.  Then Cakewalk wouldn't let me use the ASIO driver and would only do so by disabling Realtek.  Once I did that, I could use Tascam's ASIO driver and it then displayed correctly in the drop down (US-2X2HR (2in, 2 out) and most importantly, the problem of volume drop went away.  YAY!

I REALLY appreciate everyone's input and suggestions with this.....it was straight up crazy making.

\m/

Edited by Farsotstider
  • Like 1