Breaks while working on a project

Asato Maa

Question

Colleagues, I want to know if you have encountered a similar problem, and if so, how did you solve it?

While working on a project, I change some volume or pan values of the VST instrument (Stylus RMX at the moment) or plug-ins in the ProChannel. And the sound of the drums or other VST seems to be interrupted, and then starts again. I have to stop playback and listen again.

The project is "heavy", the CWP file occupies almost 1 GB...

Computer Core i5, 10th generation, 16 GB of RAM, SSD disk and M-Audio Air 8 sound card.

Edited by Asato Maa

3 answers to this question

It is normal especially if you do something GPU intensive your graphics will hog CPU cycles ( I think) You really answered your own question when you said the project was large. That's when some folks will start freezing stuff to free up CPU. 

• Thanks 1

AFAIK, some VSTs use OpenGL to access GPU processors supporting OpenGL when they are available. I've noticed some now have a GPU tick box in their VST installer dialogs. So whatever they're passing to the GPU, when an adequate one is available, probably offloads the CPU and vis versa. 

Anecdotally,  I use a lot of iZotope VSTs and I like to keep a number of their UIs open during playback. To me upgrading my video card to increase OpenGL capacity seemed to reduce the impact on performance of having iZotope UIs open.

• Like 1