Best way to create simple effects (Reverb/Chorus/Pan)?

Dave G

Question

Throughout my MIDI composition experience, I've noticed various ways to create simple effects like Reverb, Chorus, and Pan.

For example: TTS-1 allows you to set these via dials in the synth. There are also VST plugin effects (i.e. Sonitus Reverb) that do this effectively. But of course, these simple effects can also be drawn in the PRV Controller Pane.

My question is: Out of these different methods, what is the best (and most resource-friendly) way to integrate Reverb, Chorus, and Pan, and other effects that can be drawn in the Controller Pane? Synth-level, plugin-level, or controller-level?

Bonus question: How do I decide whether to include these effects before/after I bounce to audio during the final mixing process? I just want to do it the right way.

I hope I've explained this well enough. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dave G

5 answers to this question

If you are using TTS-1, Reverb can be added to a part with CC91 and Chorus can bee added to a part with CC93.  Pan is controlled by CC10 with CC> 63 being centre.  Of course, these can be added using the controller lanes in the Piano roll view.

If using another synth, automation might be the way to go.  Depending on the plugin, you could also use MIDI learn to map CCs to parameters in that synth that control Reverb and Chorus.  Most synths have CC10 mapped to pan - but thos could also be mapped.  If the synth does not contain inbuilt Reverb and Chorus, then you can use those specific effects in the track’s effect rack.  Then you can have another MIDI track routed to those plugins. 

One thing to note with a synth’s built in reverb is that if you control the level of that synth, any built in reverb tails will also reduce in level.  There would be occasions where a reverb might be better placed in the track’s effect rack.

It depends on what you are after. 

There is no “right” way to do it.  It's what ever gets you the result you are after.

Others will be able to add to this...

• Like 1

I think you covered it well. I actually have very, very rarely automated an effect. 
Reverb it is taught should be a global effect shared by the mix. This puts your song in a space, like a room or a concert hall.  They say using a different reverb on multiple tracks creates a muddy mix.  It’s sort of like having each musician in a different location.  
So I always use a reverb bus and use the send from the tracks I need in that space.
But as said above there’s no right or wrong and I often will use a touch of built in reverb if a VST has it like True Pianos and Addictive Drums. 

Chorus if often included in a VST interface and if it isn’t I have a few options from my freebie collection that go in the effect rack.  

Pan? That’s built in to the channel strip. 

The above responses cover your other questions well, so my response if more for this one:

2 hours ago, Dave G said:

How do I decide whether to include these effects before/after I bounce to audio during the final mixing process? I just want to do it the right way.

This question often comes down to if a synth is being played solo (or as the primary instrument) versus being used in a mix. When solo (and synth presets often reflect this), they often cover a wide frequency range with a lot of FX to draw attention. However, if using a synth in a mix, this is something to be wary of. When mixing, EQ (not the only method) is used often to resolve frequency conflicts between tracks, and if "too processed" this can become an issue. Specifically, time-based FX (delay, chorus, reverb, etc.) are often used last in FX chains because they make "multiple copies" of the source material you are trying to mix into the final product. This is not a rule (as with most things musical), but when highly processed synths are involved (especially ones covering a wide frequency range), those will get a lot of attention during mixing to ensure they do not have frequency conflicts with the other tracks, which is easier when time-based FX are not yet present (often added after this step).

Concise answer is that, when mixing, it is often best to apply time-based FX to tracks/busses after they have been assembled with other tracks to fit into the mix properly first.

Thank you all for your insightful information! It's been a few days since I posted this, so I don't want you all to think that I've forgotten it.

I appreciate the useful nuggets of information in the process of doing my work more efficiently. :)