Export Entire Mix does not export entire mix

Chris Boshuizen

5 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

wouldn't busses be stems?  

They can be but Folders are more flexible.

Imagine sending all your drum parts to a drum buss. You have some drum buss compression happenig that sounds great on the kick , toms and snare but it's ruining your cymbal sound and making them sound washed out. What do you do ? You take the cymbals out of the Drum Buss and maybe route them to the Master Buss instead.

If you use busses as stems now, your drum buss is missing the cymbals. If you use folders as well you can keep all elements of the drum track together , route them wherever you need but also Export by Folders when you need stems,    

On 5/20/2023 at 11:47 AM, John Vere said:

Ok I now actually get it. Selecting “ Entire Mix” should ignore any highlighted tracks. Only selecting “Tracks” should export stems.  
I guess we learn the work around and don’t even notice we are doing it.  

I think the best definition of what "Entire Mix" should mean comes from the tool tip of the preset itself:

"Exports audio as heard through the main output as a single file."

yeah, or you could have a couple of  separate drum busses for percussive and cymbals and parallel compression etc. then combined on the final drums buss feeding the master. either way, if you were creating a stem for someone to use, you'd likely want all the bits included in that. 

On 5/22/2023 at 12:35 PM, msmcleod said:

Not wanting to come across as nit-picking with terminology, but the fly-out panel is just a short-cut to changing your selection without having to close the export dialog.  This can be useful when creating multiple export tasks.

In the context of the Export Audio dialog, "source" has a different meaning:

"Source Category" - is where it should grab the audio from, i.e. is it grabbing it from the track outputs, the bus outputs, or the hardware outputs.

The checked "sources" under the category are the sources within that category where the audio will export from.  You'll get a separate audio file for each source that is checked.

The selection however (which is what the fly-out panel allows you to change), is what is sent to those sources.

Thanks, this is correct. But source might be an overloaded term here.  There's sources, and routing, and output. The one you have described, I would call routing.  Additionally, if sources are to be considered "where the audio is tapped from" what tracks are selected in the arrangement should have absolutely nothing to do with that. 

Edited by Chris Boshuizen