Laptop to use for soft synths in studio

gmp

I have a fairly old laptop. It's not too old because MS upgraded WIN 10 to WIN 11. It's probably 4 GIGS of RAM.  I'm wondering if it's good enough to trigger a soft synth, one at a time, for a live session. Probably KeyScape. I do have an very good MOTU AVB Ultralite USB audio/midi interface that I can use.  I can use the soft synths as standalones.  I never done this before, so any advise is appreciated.

FWIW, It's probably more hassle than it's worth.

4GB RAM is barely enough to run Win10 or Win11.

With a host application and Keyscape running, the machine would be hitting the VM Swapfile (in lieu of having enough physical RAM).  That would kill performance.

• Like 1

I checked it and it is 4 Gigs of RAM. I wasn't planning on running CbB, just a standalone Keyscape for an electric piano sound. I wouldn't record it in the laptop, only playback in the studio, like a live gig. If needed, I could do a fresh install of WIN 11 to get rid of any extra background programs and things in the Startup in Task Manager

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 7:18 AM, gmp said:

If needed, I could do a fresh install of WIN 11 to get rid of any extra background programs and things in the Startup in Task Manager

You could also at least double the RAM. With 4G in it, it's needlessly hindering performance. If you want to do anything more than web browsing and watching video, you should have at minimum 8G.