Strange File/Project Issue

Light Grenade

Hi folks, 

I encountered a really weird issue yesterday.  Unsure if it's a Cakewalk issue, SSD issue or both.

I took my SSD on location to track drums. I set up the project on my desktop a few days before.

Made some tweaks to the project, tracked the drums, saved, all good. Upon getting home and connecting the SSD to my desktop, the audio files weren't there and the project files hadn't updated. 

I then connected the SSD back to my laptop, the files reappeared in my audio folder, however they weren't in the project, and the project file had reverted to a version from 4 days ago. 

Connected again to my desktop, and I have the files in the audio folder but not in the project. I dragged the files into the project and everything was really slow and the audio engine was dropping out constantly. 

Made a new project, dragged the files in and everything is good. So no dramas, but just generally a really strange issue, ive never had files disappear and reappear in a drive, and have Cakewalk basically half save a project. 

Can anyone shed any light? 

Cheers

When I do remote recording I will not use a external drive for my working project storage. I use my data drive of the desktop, I copy the project folder to the laptop using a thumb or external drive and date it. 
I record using the local disk of the laptop. Before I transfer it back too the external drive I rename with new date. 
I then most likely will just drag the new tracks to the original project if that is all that changed. 
But I will definitely copy the updated version to the desktop. Storage is cheap. The more backups the better .  Having one copy of a project is only asking for Trouble. 

The only thing comes to mind about what happened to you was if the recording somehow was not streaming to the external drive but was using the global audio folder. 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

When I do remote recording I will not use a external drive for my working project storage. I use my data drive of the desktop, I copy the project folder to the laptop using a thumb or external drive and date it. 
I record using the local disk of the laptop. Before I transfer it back too the external drive I rename with new date. 
I then most likely will just drag the new tracks to the original project if that is all that changed. 
But I will definitely copy the updated version to the desktop. Storage is cheap. The more backups the better .  Having one copy of a project is only asking for Trouble. 

The only thing comes to mind about what happened to you was if the recording somehow was not streaming to the external drive but was using the global audio folder. 

I've recorded onto an external SSD for five years and genuinely never had one problem and I back up to two places, backups aren't the problem, I was just curious about why the project didn't update even though I saved multiple times.

There was also no audio in the global audio folder, certainly a weird one. 

I see. That is strange.
One thing you can do is open the project audio folder using the Browser while recording. You will see the audio files being created. This would verify that they are truthfully in the correct location too. 
I did this the other day as I was curious about what happens when you freeze a synth track. it creates a file but it deleted it when you unfreeze the track.  
So it interesting how the audio folder can actually delete stuff. 

• Like 1

Curious, I just tried this and the frozen  wave file did not delete from the folder when I unfroze it. However, it did create a 2nd file when I froze it again.

Unless there's a setting somewhere, CbB shouldn't delete the files. Unfreezing removes it from within the project, but it should still be in the folder.

FWIW, Freezing and Bounce to Clips routines both put "(Bounced)" in the file names.