how to mix meter outputting low numbers

Its BirdE

Question

6 answers to this question

Select the clip, then select Process->Apply Effect->Normalize from the main menu.  Pick a sensible db level, such as -3db, the click OK.

In future you should try to record at a higher level - although 24 bit audio has a huge dynamic range,  having to normalize very quiet signals will also bring up the volume of any background noise.

• Like 1

The most important thing to understand is input levels are set by the audio device being used and Cakewalk has no control over recording levels.  

The question I have is what audio interface did you use?  As what I see is that Line USB A was the input to the track.

As I said Recording level is set by your audio interface input level controls  but line levels often do not have input adjustments as they are designed to be used with a sub mixer or hardware devices that have volume controls built in. 

If this is a Hardware synth with USB audio then you will need to read the manual to understand how you set USB levels. 
If the bass riff was recorded using a real bass. Then
Interfaces usually have a choice of inputs and line is often on the back and on the front there’s Combination jacks and a toggle for Mike or an instrument.  Make sure to choose instrument if it truly was a bass guitar.
If it was a bass line played on a hardware synth into the interface then turn it up.   Then use the meter in the track to get a good reading of no higher than -6 db. If it’s a hardware synth up full and the reading is still low you need to use the instrument or combination jacks or get a small mixer to act as an impedance boost. 

If the bass riff was an audio clip then it’s from a bad source and was recorded wrong. 

Edited by John Vere

First strange thing I see is , on track 2 your gain knob is "maxed out"  . Your "master" gain knob is at +2.3 , but your master "fader" is turned down to -4.3 ?? Leave your gain knobs and master fader at 0 while recording . Adjust your "interface" input to get a proper recording level.  If you're not using one , get one. If you did in fact record something , you may have been hearing it Way louder than it was being recorded. Typically bass tracks are also recorded in "mono" and easier to get a punchy loud track as opposed to stereo. I would suggest going to the tutorials section and check out some "getting started " videos.    Respectfully ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner