Is there a central location for plugin presets?

Keni

I know each plugin has it's own potential presets, but if we're using the cakewalk preset dropdown list in the top left of plugin window, is there a pc location where these can be found for transfer to another machine?

It's really not much of a big deal as I rarely use presets for eq/comp/etc, but a few flange presets and things of that nature... At the moment I'm goign back and forth between machines/rooms each time I encounter one of these needs. It would be very comforting if there's a way for me to copy them all as I did for templates and the likes...

i usually try to save a preset to see if the plugin has a preferred folder to store it. sometimes its a CW presets folder (there are a few) and then some have their own folders. and generally i just store them there but make a note so i can back it up (if its not already - for example, a number of plugins use the public account documents folder, others use my documents documents folder - if the latter its always backed up to onedrive, if the former, like other folders, i add a freefilesync job to gather it into a backup folder on onedrive).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i usually try to save a preset to see if the plugin has a preferred folder to store it. sometimes its a CW presets folder (there are a few) and then some have their own folders. and generally i just store them there but make a note so i can back it up (if its not already - for example, a number of plugins use the public account documents folder, others use my documents documents folder - if the latter its always backed up to onedrive, if the former, like other folders, i add a freefilesync job to gather it into a backup folder on onedrive).

Thanks Glenn!

I didn’t think of that! ...nose on my face.

But this won’t include presets saved in the "Cakewalk Plugin Presets" box at upper left of each/all plugins, correct?

Because that’s really what I’m looking to do.

Edited by Keni

I don't think there's a standard location by default.

However, Cakewalk does support a default location per plugin behind the scenes...

Under each plugin entry in the registry, there's a PresetPath key.   You can change this to a specific path, which will cause Cakewalk to open this directory by default when loading/saving presets for this plugin:

image.thumb.png.a714d994ce1c1e6152fa4a99ab5c9a04.png

This was added way before my time as a staff member, so I'm not sure why it's not been exposed in Cakewalk itself... but it does work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I don't think there's a standard location by default.

However, Cakewalk does support a default location per plugin behind the scenes...

Under each plugin entry in the registry, there's a PresetPath key.   You can change this to a specific path, which will cause Cakewalk to open this directory by default when loading/saving presets for this plugin:

image.thumb.png.a714d994ce1c1e6152fa4a99ab5c9a04.png

This was added way before my time as a staff member, so I'm not sure why it's not been exposed in Cakewalk itself... but it does work.

Thanks Mark!

Wow! That’s a great new info find. So to see if I understand. If I supply a specific drive path in the registry (per plugin) I can have local drive storage of presets instead of (or in addition to?) the registry. That could be handy. Thanks again. 🙏

As it happens, other than my own current need/interest, one of my best friend/clients is going thru some kind of presets issue I’m supposed to address (remote - he's in Florida and me in California). This might help!

Hmmm. Just an afterthought. Do I replace the preset path with the path itself or add it as data fir the preset path key?

Edited by Keni