Song Association Game :D

Notes_Norton

21 minutes ago, craigb said:

The band that other Craig was in for a bit! 

(My guitar teacher, Dio's Godson and very short time bandmate. 😎 )

I didn't know that but I had a hunch that you'd chime in on this one for some reason.

If I remember correctly, I first heard of them when they opened for Accept on the Metal Heart tour, shortly before they embarked on the Sacred Heart tour with Dio (man that's a lot of hearts in there, including Rough Cutt's album sleeve). 

That first album made an impression on us back then, but they seemed to fall off the earth after that - and we'd soon moved on to heavier music, anyway.

Edited by Rain

2 hours ago, Rain said:

I didn't know that but I had a hunch that you'd chime in on this one for some reason.

If I remember correctly, I first heard of them when they opened for Accept on the Metal Heart tour, shortly before they embarked on the Sacred Heart tour with Dio (man that's a lot of hearts in there, including Rough Cutt's album sleeve). 

That first album made an impression on us back then, but they seemed to fall off the earth after that - and we'd soon moved on to heavier music, anyway.

Craig was in Rough Cut for a bit over a year I think (into 1983? after he replaced Jake E. Lee who left to replace Randy Rhodes with Ozzy), then he was in Foolish Pleasure which just gigged around San Diego for a bit.  I played that second guitar guy who hides in the back for three gigs: A kegger house party, at a roller rink and, the big one, where we opened for Blue Oyster Cult at the Bacchanal in 1984.  Craig then went on to help start Guiffria before moving on to Dio (replacing Vivian Campbell).  He's two years older than me and, when he was allowed to stay at home, lived two blocks away.  Most of the time though he lived in his car or slept in the music store where he gave lessons.  Tough life!

Oh, and he was already out of Rough Cutt when Metal Heart came out (in 1985).   Interestingly, the second guitarist in Rough Cutt at the time was also part of Mickey Ratt.  My friend in school (same grade) was Michael Grove who was one of the early drummers for Mickey Ratt and also the drummer for Foolish Pleasure (who is NOT the Foolish Pleasure band that came out later in the 1990's).  Unfortunately, I never got to see Mike after that because I found out at our high school 10-year reunion that he passed away (cause unknown) in 1987...  I only played in two bands and only for mere six weeks and yet FOUR of the drummers involved died!  Talk about Spinal Tap!  Heck, one died after a gig we did at the Tom Cat bar across the street from Miramar Naval Air Station when he tried to cross the busy street drunk and got hit by a car only to be decapitated by a second car😮!  One died like Bonham drowning in vomit, and the other one committed suicide by drinking excessive alcohol with lots of sleeping pills after his girlfriend left him...  Yikes!

Memories!

[Edit:  Just thought of this...  I think the main connections were that Ronnie James Dio's wife (Wendy?) was the manager for Rough Cutt.]

Edited by craigb
  • Like 1