Song Association Game :D

Notes_Norton

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Video unavailable:  

This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds

But I remember the song very well.  It was a favorite of my childhood years (along with "You Don't Own Me" and "When I Grow Up to Be a Man").  😉 

Looked this one up and just learned there are a wide variety of covers, in addition to the cover done by The Animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Let_Me_Be_Misunderstood

Edited by User 905133
to add a live version as performed by Nina Simone who first recorded it; to reduce the font size of the quote.
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

oops; that was supposed to be a typo fix, not a reply  😞  Making the best of it.  Here's a mixed gender, mixed race, mixed genre version by Joe Cocker.

Edited by User 905133
to add "mixed genre"
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

Country Joe Mcdonald - Feel Like i'm Fixing to Die Rag

If I could do a double emoji that should get both a "Like" and a "Chuckle."

Re: "fix" - The twentieth century literary critic Kenneth Burke gives an example of "fix" as a figure of speech called ablaut wordplay in The Philosophy of Literary Form:

Recall the use of ablaut in the work of Hopkins: that is, the retaining of a fixed consonantal structure, with a variation of the vowels (ablaut referring in grammar to such transformations as "sing, sang, sung," where the change of vowel, in the unchanged consonantal structure, indicates a change in grammatical function with constancy of over-all meaning). There is also a relevant passage in Coleridge's Table Talk, where he says that the consonants are "the framework of the word," and cites an example of a simple shorthand, understandable without vowels: "Gd crtd th hvn nd th rth." We may also borrow a reference for our purposes from The American Language, the section of "Forbidden Words," where Mencken lists the Hollywood device for pronouncing the "four-letter words" euphemistically "by changing the vowel of each to e and inserting r after it," a phonetic alchemy for instance by which "nuts" became "nerts." Our point is difficult to make, however, since pudency forces us to employ circumlocutions in place of direct illustrations — but one may detect the kind of punning we have in mind in observing a passage from The Hairy Ape, where Yank is reminiscing on his hateful lusting after Mildred, and exclaims: "I'll fix her!" Altering the vowel experimentally by ablaut, we may with a little patience and not too innocent a past, come close upon a socially forbidden form that expresses perfectly the attitude of the character, "Yank," who had thrown his shovel at the girl[emphasis added]

BTW, "back in the day" my older brother asked me to pick up a CJ&F album for him if I ever saw it--"the with The Fish Game."  Well, I saw it one day, picked up, and gave it a listen.  When he came home I showed it to him and he had forgotten he had asked me to pick it up for him.  I might still have it, unless it was tossed a few tears ago (actually maybe about a year ago) when a whole bunch of albums had to be tossed from rain damage (albums covered in black mold).

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1504447/country-joe-fish-game

F-I-X    ===>  F-I-S-H   ===> F-*-*-*                     😮 

PS:  When my Dad heard the song (the version on the album!) he recognized the song (they stole that!) from one of his albums--not sure if it was Pete Fountain, or Pee Wee Harris, or someone else who did rags.  And sure enough, it was the same song with different words!!!  This predates the recent copyright infringement lawsuit frenzy!!!!! 

WTF FULL CIRCLE IRONY:  See the copyright notice from Wibbles' posting of the cover of Nina Simone's version of "Misunderstood."

Gee Whiz - I hope this thread doesn't get locked or the posts removed for all the political commentary!   😜    

Edited by User 905133
(2) changed one letter to an asterisk; (1) fixed an omission
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/29/2022 at 1:33 PM, User 905133 said:

BTW, "back in the day" my older brother asked me to pick up a CJ&F album for him if I ever saw it--"the with The Fish Game."  Well, I saw it one day, picked up, and gave it a listen.  When he came home I showed it to him and he had forgotten he had asked me to pick it up for him.  I might still have it, unless it was tossed a few tears ago (actually maybe about a year ago) when a whole bunch of albums had to be tossed from rain damage (albums covered in black mold).

or play it online haha! http://www.ibiblio.org/mal/MO/countryjoe/

and here's a bonus black mold song