Staff view tempo markings?

Staff view is not by any means a full feature notation program. It is infamous for being kind of a bare bones feature as far back as the beginning of Twelve Tones!

I have been a vocal supporter of Cakewalk for longer than I like to admit. Staff view has been the weak spot of this great DAW. It was explained to me by Cakewalk support many years ago that it was virtually impossible to fix staff view because the DAW had progressed far ahead of the code involved to update staff view!

I still hope that someday someone will find a way to fix it! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Staff view is not by any means a full feature notation program. It is infamous for being kind of a bare bones feature as far back as the beginning of Twelve Tones!

I have been a vocal supporter of Cakewalk for longer than I like to admit. Staff view has been the weak spot of this great DAW. It was explained to me by Cakewalk support many years ago that it was virtually impossible to fix staff view because the DAW had progressed far ahead of the code involved to update staff view!

I still hope that someday someone will find a way to fix it! 

It probably needs a complete rewrite from the keel upwards

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey
spelling

Their explanation was that the code was embedded so deep that they would virtually have to rewrite Cakewalk, known as Sonar Platinum at the time, from scratch!

I started a thread on the original Sonar forum that amazingly reached more than 35 pages of some positivity but mostly serious disagreement on how to get staff view fixed!! That was several years ago and we are still no better off.

NOTION was being sold at the time and Presonus ended up incorporating it into Studio One! I felt that Sonar or Cake would have benefited greatly from doing that! I had Notion 3 at the time and I learned how to ReWire Sonar and Notion together! It was quite wonky sometimes but did work!

Anyway, as someone who uses staff view quite a bit, I feel your pain. 

17 minutes ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Their explanation was that the code was embedded so deep that they would virtually have to rewrite Cakewalk, known as Sonar Platinum at the time, from scratch!

I started a thread on the original Sonar forum that amazingly reached more than 35 pages of some positivity but mostly serious disagreement on how to get staff view fixed!! That was several years ago and we are still no better off.

NOTION was being sold at the time and Presonus ended up incorporating it into Studio One! I felt that Sonar or Cake would have benefited greatly from doing that! I had Notion 3 at the time and I learned how to ReWire Sonar and Notion together! It was quite wonky sometimes but did work!

Anyway, as someone who uses staff view quite a bit, I feel your pain. 

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's very old and complicated code, and of course the original developer is not available.

I did have a stab at getting it to show articulations on the staff view at one point, but it did not go well.  Showing tempos would basically be the same task.  Of course printing would have to be supported too, which is a complete unknown.

It's certainly not impossible, but it'd probably take a few weeks just to fully understand the code that is there before being able to extend it, and well... priorities.

On 4/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, Chris McGraw said:

I cannot for the life me figure out how to get the staff view to show/export tempo markings.  Is it even supported?  Very weird that it would not be.

I would use Expression to write in the tempos. At least they would be there.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 7:48 AM, msmcleod said:

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it's very old and complicated code, and of course the original developer is not available.

I'm sure you're aware that the original developer used what he had done in Cakewalk to develop the stand-alone notation application Overture. And about the time Gibson was starting to lose interest in Cakewalk, that developer had some initial conversations with Cakewalk/Gibson saying that he thought it was possible, and not extremely difficult, to somehow incorporate about 80% of the functionality of Overture into Cakewalk, but Gibson wasn't interested in working with him. (This is according to my memory of some statements made by that developer in the old Cakewalk forum.)

I'm sure most of the people that want to see Cakewalk improve the staff view would be more than happy with that level of functionality, I know I would. Do you see any possibility of going in that direction, maybe just consulting with the developer, sometime in the future? The developer is still alive and theoretically supporting Overture, but I realize he has not been very active for more than two years, so that certainly makes things more difficult.