Cakewalk and the CTRL key responsiveness

RexRed

It seems Cakewalk is not very responsive when the CTRL key is being held.

You have to perform the CTRL key action several times before Cakewalk will acknowledge it is being held.

It has been unresponsive for many years... Like something else overrides its awareness of that key.

Considering that CTRL is used so frequently for copying stuff it is vital that it be more responsive to save time hitting it repetitively until Cakewalk becomes aware of it being pressed.

Edited by RexRed

It has been this way over many systems for many many years.

Different keyboards and systems.

It is subtle but a constant thing.

I currently have a Razer Huntsman keyboard, still the same unresponsiveness I have experienced for many years.

It is not always but often about two times before Cakewalk actually copies an item.

I think this is a problem left over from when Cakewalk would forget its clipboard content.

A month ago I reinstalled Cakewalk and Windows 11 from scratch and same thing.

I do have Sonar X2 X3 and Platinum on my system as well.

I hold ctrl and shift and put a reasonable amount of pressure there and no copy.

I use this same ctrl key in many other programs and this never happens.

This happens when the shift key is pressed with CTRL key as well.

Edited by RexRed

2 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Ctrl & Shift in combination with any other keystroke clock out on my system on CbB at 107uS max.

That's pretty fast.

That is the same for me once Cakewalk is aware that Ctrl is being used.

But cold, it often does not respond until the second or third time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 1:26 AM, OutrageProductions said:

You may have IRQ conflicts. Try disabling any unnecessary services and startup TSRs. I haven't experienced any key response issues in any of my four daws or my video edit sled in ten years (since Vista at least).

It's Cakewalk, it has been happening for years and it is the only program I use on my PC that does this, it has happened over various operating systems, motherboards, keyboards, mice and Cakewalk installs.

I currently use a Razer Huntsman Elite mechanical keyboard, one of the best keyboards you can buy and it still happens.

I hold control and drag a clip and it moves it instead of copies it and after several tries it finally recognizes the control key.

It is like dragging while holding control somehow negates the control key being pressed.

It happened several times today during a live broadcast.

My Huntsman Elite keyboard has 4 prongs on each key so the key depresses down evenly and this still happens.

It is Cakewalk.

I only notice this problem when trying to drag and copy clips/notes at the same time. 

Edited by RexRed

While I can't say I haven't experienced this bug before, it seems to be more an edge case that would be hard to pin point. Depending on what you're doing, you can hold control after and it will still do the thing. It works for moving clips, but you have to do it before you start moving the clip, otherwise it just moves the clip you're holding.