Alternate tunings?

Standard even-tempered (MIDI) tuning works, but I was wondering if anyone had experimented with alternate tunings. I'm about to tune a piano for a recording, and I was thinking of trying some of the Just tuning alternates because I want to preserve certain perfect intervals, especially the perfect 5th (downward = 4th).

Guitarists, whether they know it or not, often use a type of Just tuning which preserves the 4th. If you tune your guitar by ear, matching the 4th of each string to the next open string, there you go. But my plan is to tune an entire piano this way.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Edited by SuperFreq
  • Like 1

Hey Super, found the Just Tuning read quite interesting.
A buddy of mine talked about a Pedal Steel Player he worked for years with, and the Pedal player called it "Tempered Tuning".
In short, he did not tune to the digital tuner across the Steel. The third, fifth and sixth were a few cents "off".
I think that Auto Tune, Melodyne, and click tracks (meaning locking everything to the grid) is what has "sucked the life"
out of modern music. In the so-called Minor Pentatonic scale, employed by most Blues players, the flat or minor third really
isn't that. Its in between the minor and major third; for me this is the "blue" note, but scholars disagree.
But I digress...

t

oh and a final note, this General Discussion section is where threads go to die.
I know the Coffee House can get a bit rambunctious, but at least folks on the forum would find the thread.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, SuperFreq said:

Guitarists, whether they know it or not, often use a type of Just tuning which preserves the 4th. If you tune your guitar by ear, matching the 4th of each string to the next open string, there you go. But my plan is to tune an entire piano this way.

If you tune your guitar by ear, it will often be a few cents flat. Tune using harmonics and it will be more flat.