I have an intermittent problem: 88 mS of silence when mixing

Chris-J

41 minutes ago, scook said:

Thanks, I’ll remove the Dell apps and we’ll see what happens.

However, I have disabled a few things in the Start Up in Task Manager.   I’ll take another sweep thru Task Manager.

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

This thread has gotten too long so I missed this which is pretty important info. You need to deal with this. You can’t run any DAW when that is red. It may or may not be at the root of the problem but overall to use a computer for music it needs to run clean an green. 
I believe you said this is a Dell laptop. If it is this could be issues in the BIOS as I have personal experience about 8 years ago with similar issues. 
Dell wouldn’t deal with it. We sent it back and they said it wasn’t broken?   $1,500 no good for audio. Still have it and it’s fine for all else. Bought a $600 Acer that never had issues with Audio once bloat ware was removed. 

Ugh!

Looks like I have some work cut out for me to see if I can get this thing running “Clean and Green”.

53 minutes ago, bvideo said:

That Wdf01000.sys is a "driver framework", so it could be used by any non-class-compliant device on your computer. Since it is a "gaming" computer, there may be a device built in that uses a driver tuned to gaming. Another possibility is that your anti-malware software has provided some alternate or stacked drivers, e.g. for keyboard and mouse (mine does), though wdf01000.sys is unlikely from anti-malware software.

So mainly have a look at the driver stack for keyboard and mouse. Control panel -> device manager -> Keyboards (or) Mice and other pointing devices (double click or right click) -> properties -> Driver -> Driver Details  and see if wdf01000.sys is there.

Thanks, I’ll give this a try!

Eight years later and I still haven't consolidated this post from the old forums, unfortunely you have to hit refresh a few times to open old posts/links from there. Another aspect that comes to mind is to shut off "Automatic Network Discovery" since that pings every 3-4 seconds and you don't want your PC trying to connect to everything it can find anyway. Any "automatic" function on a PC needs to be looked at if you want to keep latency down.

7 hours ago, bvideo said:

That Wdf01000.sys is a "driver framework", so it could be used by any non-class-compliant device on your computer. Since it is a "gaming" computer, there may be a device built in that uses a driver tuned to gaming. Another possibility is that your anti-malware software has provided some alternate or stacked drivers, e.g. for keyboard and mouse (mine does), though wdf01000.sys is unlikely from anti-malware software.

So mainly have a look at the driver stack for keyboard and mouse. Control panel -> device manager -> Keyboards (or) Mice and other pointing devices (double click or right click) -> properties -> Driver -> Driver Details  and see if wdf01000.sys is there.

I’eve taken a look thru Keyboards, Mice, Display Adaptors, Human Interface Devices, Network Adaptors.

I don’t see where Wdf01000.sys is used.

Reducing the Internal Display from 120.21 Hz to 60.21 Hz and turning off the Gaming audio and video captures seems to have reduced the LatencyMon parameters.  

I’ve disabled the Ethernet ports (I don’t use them), I’ve tuned a few things in Windows Sound Settings that I seemed to a have missed: turned OFF exclusive mode in Recording and turned off sound enhancement in Recording mode.  I turned OFF exclusive in Playback several days ago.

I’m running in Airplane Mode, which is supposed to stop the Wi-Fi system from seeking out local Wi-Fi networks.

I moved the Audio Interface to another USB port.

I just ran the LatencyMon program for 9 minutes, 23.

Highest measured interrupt was 795 uS

Highest reported ISR was 330 uS

Highest reported DPC runtime was 865 uS

Reported hardpage fault count: 1833

Big Thanks to everyone who helped out!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:26 PM, Chris-J said:

Weird, I don’t see CA-2 in my list of Compressors.   Isn’t that included in Cakewalk By BandLab?

it's something i bought a while back in the SONAR days - but many "trial" versions of things often do noises, beeps, or blanking to remind you to buy the license 🙂 of course with the proper attitude and some work, you might combine a bunch of those into modern music 😉 

4 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

it's something i bought a while back in the SONAR days - but many "trial" versions of things often do noises, beeps, or blanking to remind you to buy the license 🙂 of course with the proper attitude and some work, you might combine a bunch of those into modern music 😉 

I think Kanye West made an album with those noises on it to create some beats, LOL!

A bit of a personal quirk of mine, I use the PC2A leveler compressor and the EQ in PC quite a bit, but I rarely use the other compressors in the PC.

Edited by Chris-J
typos