Live Melodic Techno Jam // Moog Sub37 & Matriarch

Nick Blanc

I think I can safely say I got most of my weird issues worked out. Everything is working as designed. And I can't really tell how happy I am. Just switch on a random synth, start playing, it works, it sounds great. I'm learning a LOT about my synths by just playing around, failing and then making it work. Take the Matriarch arp, it sounded nice, but not amazing. So I just upped the arp speed and suddenly everything clicked! 

I'm learning to play live for which I'm taking lessons. I try to at least play 1 synth live in a jam session.

Let me know what you think!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nick , I Like this one. You seem to be getting good at laying down a nice bed for some good melody's. When you got the groove going at 4:06 then jumped to the synth in front of your monitors , everything worked while playing a melody line against the backing. It would have also worked at 1:02. I believe this is something that has been missing on your previous videos. I think you should do a lot more of that.      Enjoyed it ..   mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Nick , I Like this one. You seem to be getting good at laying down a nice bed for some good melody's. When you got the groove going at 4:06 then jumped to the synth in front of your monitors , everything worked while playing a melody line against the backing. It would have also worked at 1:02. I believe this is something that has been missing on your previous videos. I think you should do a lot more of that.      Enjoyed it ..   mark

Thanks! I agree that the live playing of melodies on top was kinda missing in the previous ones. I think I was just anxious to do it because I'm not a great player. 

But in the end it is the most satisfying. l will try do so it more often when it fits the track (my latest electro thing was more drum oriented). It's so great when I just jam on top and it works (ok I kinda practice beforehand). 

Thanks again for taking the time and the feedback!

• Like 1

You're welcome. One thing to keep in mind is ..  I doubt if you are ever going to go out somewhere and do a live gig with 10 synths.  So ..   when you come up with something cool , you might as well keep it as an audio project and lay down some additional melody tracks in your DAW to build a complete "song" out of it. There was plenty of room in this one for vocals as well.  If you don't do lyrics or sing , find someone who does , and bring them in. The live set up backing videos would be "icing on the cake".   Just my 2 cents worth ..   mark

• Great Idea 1

On 3/10/2023 at 12:43 AM, mark skinner said:

You're welcome. One thing to keep in mind is ..  I doubt if you are ever going to go out somewhere and do a live gig with 10 synths.  So ..   when you come up with something cool , you might as well keep it as an audio project and lay down some additional melody tracks in your DAW to build a complete "song" out of it. There was plenty of room in this one for vocals as well.  If you don't do lyrics or sing , find someone who does , and bring them in. The live set up backing videos would be "icing on the cake".   Just my 2 cents worth ..   mark

Thanks! I sort of, unintenionally, do this. I practise these sessions during the week and sculpt the sounds. I save all those sounds and I take pictures of the settings on the synths without presets. So within the project, most of the time I have some recordings of tests, other melodies, other sounds and stuff. I like the idea of building a full track out of it. While it is not my immediate intention, there is potential in some tracks.

For the vocals, yeah I'm not a singer. And that's an understatement. But I happen to know a few, one metal singer with a stunningly clear voice, my ex girlfriend which is, errr, complicated and a colleague who is gaining a lot of traction lately on tiktok.

That being said, I have a Microfreak and am contemplating singing myself with the vocoder mic, no pitch needed 😅

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Nick, enjoyed the video, glad the studio is sorted.
I know how frustrating it is when things "just ain't right!".
If I have to use the left side of the my brain solving problems, the right side takes a powder for the rest of the day...

t

Thanks (and for the YT comment, I thought the name looked familiar 😅).

I still have the occasional hanging midi note or sudden midi drop out, but this is the best it can get. Until I get my Midronome that is.

• Like 1