Setting the project tempo from an audio recording doesn't work

Oscar Martín Díez-Canseco

Question

Hello, I am following the instructions here https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tempo.12.html

I am dragging a click audio file to the tempo to the time ruler and it doesn't change anything after trying every algorithm.
I have tried several different audio files and it doesn't do anything, as thiss feature is not working.

BTW, the documentation doesn't load the images and the web certification is expired.

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Oscar Martín Díez-Canseco said:

Hello, I am following the instructions here https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Tempo.12.html

I am dragging a click audio file to the tempo to the time ruler and it doesn't change anything after trying every algorithm.
I have tried several different audio files and it doesn't do anything, as thiss feature is not working.

BTW, the documentation doesn't load the images and the web certification is expired.

The documentation display images correctly on my PC.  It must be something on your end.  My default browser is Firefox 111 Beta 2

I just tried dragging a 3 minute 21 second audio here on a PC configured as per my signature usi9ng the Melodyne method.  This extracted the correct tempo for the given audio file.  My version of Melodyne is Editor version 5.3.1.0.13  (though it should work with Melodyne essentials)

This feature is definitely working (even on my circa 2014 PC)

This feature requires a licensed copy of Melodyne to work as of last Fall. It changed when Celemony updated Cakewalks demo version to version 5. If you had Cakewalk from before then you might have version 4 still and that will still allow drag and drop midi conversion and tempo extraction. 

And yes the documentation has never shown the pictures for me either. It's a old web site badly in need of upgrading.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have recently been using my Melodyne essentials v5 in Cakewalk, and have used that method for extracting timing, off & on for many years now. -If I remember correctly, Celemony allowed me to upgrade the free Sonar bundle license I was using, to my current "essentials" version, somewhere back when Melodyne went to v5x. Probably not likely that they still offer the same deal nowadays with the old codes, but it might be worth a try.  -I recently ran into an issue with the licensing on that plugin & app (it has a standalone option), which was annoying, -as are all these apps that tie license validation to online connections and machine or other system ID methods, but I digress... I contacted Celemony support with my license code & info about using it in Cakewalk.

Anyway, Celemony support was helpful, if you have a valid license code of some kind. Then, yes, with Melodyne essentials (or better) installed & activated (takes a few steps there too...) - the method I prefer, is to import the tempo audio source into a (temporary) track, at the starting position (bar, beat, what have you) that you want the tempo mapping to start, click to select the audio file, and then just use the Cakewalk Track View menu - Region FX - Melodyne-VST3 - Create Region FX.  Melodyne will work a bit, and then usually present in a MultiDock window - which I know all too well is where any licensing issue will present itself, BTW...

Anyway, from there, it can be helpful to play back some of your (temporary) tempo audio track, and watch the Melodyne plugin GUI, as that tells you what tempo it thinks is actually there (sometimes the results can be different than what you expect), and if you agree :), go back and select the audio file once more in track view, then from that same menu mentioned before, use the "Apply Region Tempo" option. -This puts the tempo mapping Melodyne derived, into your Cakewalk project MIDI - Tempo map.

It probably works perfectly if you have a click-only tempo source, -but I always love to abuse, & often confuse, Melodyne, by supplying a full combo mix source - and to its credit, it has an adaptive mode that can usually get the basic timing from drum-heavy mixed tracks quite well! It trips up a lot though when you have alternating sections without any strong rhythm elements, of course, and during playback you will see the tempo values start going berzerk (plus you get a nice bunch of sporadic curve events in the new Cakewalk Tempo Track view :) to boot), but sometimes you can still un-mangle the bad sections manually afterwards, if you have the patience. -Love that new tempo track view, and the curves, node editing options, etc.

Well again, I digress, but you still may be able to use the tempo mapping - via Melodyne option in Cakewalk fairly cheaply, I think even the basic license is relatively cheap, and of course then you can also use the ever popular audio mangling options it also offers, if you like that type of thing then as well. -Ah yes, another plugin though - right?

@Oscar Martín Díez-Canseco

This doesn't make sense. Why would Celemony disable this one function (tempo mapping) in the trial version when their website clearly states "...you can test the full range of functions of Melodyne for 30 days free of charge with no obligation. You can try out all the functions to your heart’s content without limitations, save everything and use it later – just as though you had already bought the program."

The site doesn't have a lot to say about why this function might not work, except that your imported track might be too complex for Melodyne to extract the tempo, but this doesn't seem to apply to your situation, since you say you've imported only a click.

Edited by Larry Jones