[SOLVED] Exported audio not at same volume level as inside Cakewalk, low.

sean72

Cakewalk is reducing the volume of my mixes on export. It's not at the same level I hear in Cakewalk. What do I need to set to export with the same volume levels that I'm getting in the master output bus inside cakewalk?

The audio interface master volume is set at max. I've never had a problem like this before whenever I exported anything from sonar it was always the same level as what I was hearing inside the DAW mix. 

Files are probably around 50% volume after export. 

Audio interface is Presonus Q2626 and it has no mixing software to set up so it should not be lowering the volume in any way since the main out is all the way up. 

I also tried exporting as a wave and reimporting and slapping a limiter on there and cranking it up and the results were the same volume level is a lot lower on the file that is exported. 

Edited by sean72

Make sure your mains output is set to 0db.   If it's set to more than that, then that is why you're hearing a lower volume on export.

In other words, Cakewalk is boosting the mains output by x amount, making it sound louder inside Cakewalk, but the actual level leaving the Master bus is quieter - and this is what you're hearing after export.

image.png.51dacad30014e5e0a129f08c8c7df563.png

Yeah the master is set at 0.0 . So that's not the issue. When brought the wave file that I exported from Cakewalk back into Cakewalk the levels on that were exactly what I was hearing at mixdown in the main project, but when I play it back in something like Winamp the levels are way lower. Other audio files don't have this issue in Winamp and I suspect the file won't play nice with other playback solutions, YouTube uploader, etc. It's like Sonar exported files that only it can read properly. Weird... 

Edited by sean72
  • Thanks 1

Doh! I figured out what the problem was, nullsoft (Winamp) output setting was not set to my audio interfaces main outputs. 

If anybody else out there is ever having the same problem open Winamp go to preferences scroll down under plugins and select output then select nullsoft wave output dll and click configure, then select your audio interface main outputs from the device drop down menu click okay and you're done. For some reason Windows was not automatically selecting that as the primary audio device even though it's the only one installed on my machine.

Edited by sean72
  • Like 2

• msmcleod changed the title to [SOLVED] Exported audio not at same volume level as inside Cakewalk, low.

perhaps this may be helpful -- if you have several monitoring devices setup (e.g. your main speakers, headphones, a BT speaker, etc) it is a good idea to set them so they have the same output levels - in my setup (currently my laptop on my work desk) i have a USB mixer (headphones), a USB Spark Mini, and a BT speaker.

first I run a -12db RMS filtered (pink) noise signal from CW (with the outputs on the track, buss, and h/w all at 0 - so my peak level is ~-12db on the meters) and set all my device output levels to 83db -- this may require each Windows sound setting for a given speaker to be adjusted -- my mixer is set to 16, my BT speaker is set to 80, my Spark is set to 66 and each position on their volume dials are marked (permanent marker or nail polish drop).

• note: if you are using a subwoofer it's a bit more complex because you want to adjust the cross-over(s), delays, and so on to blend with the speakers - phase and transition from the speaker to the sub.

then i set the output devices to output 75db (my typical mix level) and mark their dials (or for the BT one i know i press down volume 3x). if i want to go lower i can just move the volume control or pass it through my -12db master channel in CW template. 

then go through each audio playback software - Media Player, Dopamine, WinAMP, Groove, VLC, etc and set their volume to match 83db when playing the noise file. lastly, adjust my online media hosting players to also play at the 83db level.

• now i can just adjust the output devices to either 83db or 75db easily and know each player or source has been "calibrated".

a decent sound level meter is useful (a long time ago i bought an old Radio Shack digital one for $30 on ebay) and place it approx where you have your head. for my normal full setup i put it on a stand but at my work desk i just hold it there. it's close enough. the whole process only takes about 20-30 minutes, but you'll be much less frustrated when switching across listening devices and players.

one update: your decision on source level vs monitoring level can vary based on the system you're using K, LUFS, etc so create (or obtain) the source level file you need (e.g. -18db, -23db, and noise type) and set your full-scale monitoring as defined in the system. in my regular setup, i have a monitor controller as well as a number of presets for the sound levels documented so if i'm doing video / theater / surround vs audio stream, i can switch to proper monitoring.  here's a handy reference to some of the different specs - https://www.tcelectronic.com/loudness.html 🙂

Edited by fossile
note for audio standards
  • Great Idea 1